Arrangement View Battles - any tips?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simplemusic

Arrangement View Battles - any tips?

Post by simplemusic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:57 am

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to streamline the workflow when in the arrangement view. I'm a recent Live adoptor (for production...been using it for Live work for a while), having cutover from Cubase and there're a few things I'm battling with. Any tips would be greatly appreciated:

1) Keyboard shortcuts to fold/unfold tracks and groups. I seem to always end up with a mess of automation lanes, expanded groups etc. I know I can alt click on a fold and fold all tracks, but that also folds all the groups, which is not a very useful view. Any way to save screen layouts and quickly key toggle between views?

2) Keyboard shortcuts to jump to loop start?

3) "Noisy" automation lanes. Checking back on various screenshots on google, it looks like previously when there were multiple automation lanes, the 1st lane would display the contents (wave display or midi) in normal 'font' and then all subsequent lanes would have the contents repeated but in a faded display. This made reading the automation much easier. It seems now all subsequent automation lanes are in nonmal display which makes it hard to discern the automation from the underlying wave/midi - very noisy hard-to-read display.

4) Screen real estate: If I use grouped tracks (in place of bussing, and to group logically), I lose a bunch of vertical real estate because there is a limit to how much you can shrink a group header (2x normal height, and more if there are many tracks grouped, not sure what the use is of havng the underlying tracks clips shown in grey in the group header). Any way to change that? I'm doubting it.

5) I cannot get the 'set all row heights' to work. I have a bunch of different automation lane heights after doing some detailed editing (and hence the whoel display is messy as hell). I click between the lanes on part of the arrangement view whilst holding Alt and adjust. I expect all rows to be adjusted to the same height. It does not happen. Am I missing something?

I'm hoping some of the Ableton veterans might be able to give me a few tips on how you have mastered your arraangent view workflow. I don't expect it to have all the bells and whistles I had in Cubase, and understand Im in for a learning curve....but just battling a bit to get slick right now when in the arrangement view.

Thanks in advance.

Street Spirit

Re: Arrangement View Battles - any tips?

Post by Street Spirit » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:18 pm

No one responded Lol
Live sucks at arrangment and , you really need to know a ton of hot keys to work fluidly

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:24 pm

There’s not a lot to say. Live is keyboard centric. I’ve complained about many things, including the look, but I just finally learned to live with stuff and get on with it. It’s very quick once you are used to it.

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:48 am

Agreed. They made some arrangement improvements in 10, but was just to $ to upgrade.
Still On 9. Eventually it will become a crowded cluster f when 11 comes along.
Like most DAW