Create multiple tracks shortcut

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
schaeffertone

Create multiple tracks shortcut

Post by schaeffertone » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Is there a way to create 20 audio tracks at once or do I really have to press command+T 20 times?

justanametouse

Re: Create multiple tracks shortcut

Post by justanametouse » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Nope - I don't think there's any way to do this for blank audio tracks.

Gregwaah

Post by Gregwaah » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 am

You could group 20 audio tracks together and save that group to the browzer. You can then add that group to one of the collections, if you have Live 10 that is.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 am

You can also simply create the 20 tracks and save it as a set then drag the whole set in from the browser and have it load all the tracks (pre-loaded with whatever effects you need).

It is also possible to browse the internal tracks of any live project and add the tracks of one project to another by dragging too.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am

you can also select multiple tracks and duplicate them...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am

fishmonkey wrote:you can also select multiple tracks and duplicate them...
While this is possible it's weird how the selection can't just expand with the duplication. It's duplicate and re-select until you're finished. Tedious.
Make some music!

schaeffertone

Post by schaeffertone » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:35 pm

In Pro Tools you can press command+shift+n to open a new track dialog, the number of tracks box is already highlighted so you can just start typing a number, then command+left/right arrow toggles channel configuration (mono, stereo, LCR, LCRS, Quad, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0 SDDS, 7.1 SDDS, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, Ambisonics etc...) then command+up/down arrow toggles track type (audio, aux, master fader, VCA master, MIDI, instrument track, video track, or custom track presets,) then command+shift+down arrow adds another row to the dialog to create additional tracks, and you can keep pressing down arrow to add up to 16 rows.

This allows you to create a session with whatever custom configuration of track types you want with just a few keystrokes. This is much more efficient than any method available in Live.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Yeah but Live is Live, not Pro tools so you need to adjust how you work, not expect the software to match your expected usage based on another software. In the same way I don't suggest on the Pro Tools forum they need a Clip View like Live has or more flexible internal MIDI routing from track to track etc.

The multiple solutions offer a good alternative. Not as nice as a menu but like most things, can be used without much fuss to get the job done.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:29 am

Sure don't need to press cmd+T x20 times, can do like the Rice and Chessboard fable (1>2>4>8>16>32>...) or just double after you got 10.

Seems you can create a command for such with Python Remote Scripts, since there is a MPE utility that creates X number of tracks set up for MPE:

https://github.com/juhot/MPE_Util

Can create tracks with M4L too:

https://cycling74.com/forums/how-to-cre ... g-live-api

I don't now how to set it to add more than 1 or put the tracks in the end, instead of beginning, but someone else might.
♥♥♥

schaeffertone

Post by schaeffertone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 am

jestermgee wrote:Yeah but Live is Live, not Pro tools so you need to adjust how you work, not expect the software to match your expected usage based on another software. In the same way I don't suggest on the Pro Tools forum they need a Clip View like Live has or more flexible internal MIDI routing from track to track etc.

The multiple solutions offer a good alternative. Not as nice as a menu but like most things, can be used without much fuss to get the job done.
You're right it's not Pro Tools, but one way is clearly faster. There's no reason why Ableton shouldn't try to improve the workflow ergonomics of Live while maintaining the functions that make it superior to Pro Tools for programming music.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:49 am

in most cases we are talking about setting up a new session quickly, right? creating lots of new tracks in an existing session is really an edge case.

IMO setting up multiple template sets is the way to go. it's actually more useful since you can also have all your favourite settings, routings and plugins ready to go.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... plate-Sets

http://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live-i ... late-sets/

schaeffertone

Post by schaeffertone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 am

fishmonkey wrote:in most cases we are talking about setting up a new session quickly, right? creating lots of new tracks in an existing session is really an edge case.

IMO setting up multiple template sets is the way to go. it's actually more useful since you can also have all your favourite settings, routings and plugins ready to go.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... plate-Sets

http://sonicbloom.net/en/ableton-live-i ... late-sets/
I do use temples for some things, but only working with templates is inflexible in many situations. What if it isn't a new/blank session and you have an artist standing over your shoulder asking for 5 new things in an already complex session, and you are in a studio that costs $1500 a day?

In this case it is much better if you can type in a short command to add 8 new midi tracks, 5 new aux tracks, and 4 new instrument tracks, rather than importing template data into an ongoing session and then having to delete 35 things that aren't needed.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:31 am

schaeffertone wrote:What if it isn't a new/blank session and you have an artist standing over your shoulder asking for 5 new things in an already complex session, and you are in a studio that costs $1500 a day?

In this case it is much better if you can type in a short command to add 8 new midi tracks, 5 new aux tracks, and 4 new instrument tracks, rather than importing template data into an ongoing session and then having to delete 35 things that aren't needed.
i get where you are coming from, but i can literally do that in about 10 seconds using keyboard shortcuts (and i can create the new tracks exactly where i want them).

all you can do is post an official feature request, i can't see it being of very high priority though...