overdub recording with total overwrite?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
whitelobster

overdub recording with total overwrite?

Post by whitelobster » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Hello

I am interested in recording some clips live for the purpose of looping them, but I am wondering if there is anything like an overdub mode that completely overwrites the clip contents if new notes are pressed?

For example

With the standard overdub mode implemented, if you play a rhythm consisting of the c2 key and then tap out a new c2 rhythm ontop of it- it will overwrite the c2 notes BUT if you start tapping an overlapping rhythm on the c4 key then it will remain overlapping with the c2 rhythm- is there any way to enable some sort of overdub mode where incoming notes overwrite existing notes/overwrite the sequence underneath them regardless of the pitch of the notes?

jestermgee

Re: overdub recording with total overwrite?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:58 am

You want "overwrite" not "overdub" and that should be the behaviour of recording MIDI if you do not have the overdub button enabled, it will simply record over what you have already done, scrubbing everything already there.

whitelobster

Post by whitelobster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:26 am

How do you enable ableton to record over the contents of an existing clip in session view?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:27 am

record arm the track?

whitelobster

Post by whitelobster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:10 pm

that doesn't work either with session view- if you play notes in different octaves they will still overlap in time- is there a way to make it more like an overwrite that effects notes across all octaves?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Repeating what jestermgee already said:

Overdub HAS to keep the older notes, that's what Overdub IS...

DISABLE Overdub if you want to overwrite all the notes.
♥♥♥

whitelobster

Post by whitelobster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:18 pm

I understand this as a concept-but in practice when I do this the notes are still behaving in a way that is similar to overdub, even with overdub switched off. The behaviors seem to be subtlety different but it is definitely not completely overwriting all notes that overlap in time

Is this behavior different for you?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Yeah, my apologies, I went by memory, but testing it now it doesn't overwrite the notes with "silence".

[edit:] It was recording in Arrangement View with loop enabled that it overwrites with "silence", sorry again.
♥♥♥