Midi controller for Ableton Live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
waterfordogs

Midi controller for Ableton Live

Post by waterfordogs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Hey guys

I have been playing around with a Launchkey 61 with ableton live and really beginning to understand the fun/power one can have with launching scenes/clips etc from a controller and having instant control over a myriad of parameters.

I'm now considering buying something that will give me much more accessibility in realtime. I'll use it for production but also ultimately (hopefully) live performance.

The obvious 2 I've looked at so far are the Launchpad Pro and Ableton Push 2. Clearly the latter is better built and is much more feature rich but the cost is also considerable.

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing so I guess my questions are:

- would the Launchpad pro be an easier/better place to start. From the reviews I've watched it seems much simpler to use than the Push 2. Or should I take the plunge now in terms of cost and time to learn and invest in the Push 2?

- the Push 2 looks big and heavy. So maybe not so practical for a live performance instrument unlike the pro...? Anyone got any thoughts on this?

- What about Launchpad pro vs Push (original). How does the original Push compare to the pro? I could probably get a second hand Push for not much more than a pro....

Any other thoughts / alternatives?

For live, I will want a combination of a good synth (which I already have), a good midi controller (which I'm looking for) and macbook with ableton live.

Cheers guys

jlgrimes

Re: Midi controller for Ableton Live

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:05 pm

waterfordogs wrote:Hey guys

I have been playing around with a Launchkey 61 with ableton live and really beginning to understand the fun/power one can have with launching scenes/clips etc from a controller and having instant control over a myriad of parameters.

I'm now considering buying something that will give me much more accessibility in realtime. I'll use it for production but also ultimately (hopefully) live performance.

The obvious 2 I've looked at so far are the Launchpad Pro and Ableton Push 2. Clearly the latter is better built and is much more feature rich but the cost is also considerable.

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing so I guess my questions are:

- would the Launchpad pro be an easier/better place to start. From the reviews I've watched it seems much simpler to use than the Push 2. Or should I take the plunge now in terms of cost and time to learn and invest in the Push 2?

- the Push 2 looks big and heavy. So maybe not so practical for a live performance instrument unlike the pro...? Anyone got any thoughts on this?

- What about Launchpad pro vs Push (original). How does the original Push compare to the pro? I could probably get a second hand Push for not much more than a pro....

Any other thoughts / alternatives?

For live, I will want a combination of a good synth (which I already have), a good midi controller (which I'm looking for) and macbook with ableton live.

Cheers guys

Push 2 is big, but it isn't heavy at all IMO.

I would be careful gigging with it though (mainly because it is expensive).

That said for what it does, it is probably one of my favorite midi controllers I've ever bought and it integrates with Ableton very well.

I haven't used the Launchpads but I've heard great things about them especially with M4L scripts I hear they can be set up to be pretty sophisticated but I don't have any experience with them but they seem to be smaller, (cheaper), possibly more durable, and probably might work better for a Live show where you might not have much space.

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:55 pm

The Push 2 isn't really heavy, it's just a little weightier than your average controller because it's built more solidly and not made of plastic. I also wouldn't really consider it "big". Unless you have a huge need for keys, there isn't any better controller on the market than Push 2, IMO. It's fantastically designed and a joy to work with. It's not the cheapest option, but I think it would be the more enjoyable investment in the long-term.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:01 pm

It really depends on what you think you need to control in your live performances. Personally, unless I was homeless I would just buy Push because it gives the most hands-on control possible as of right now.

Assuming you can get paid for performing, the Push will eventually get paid for, just like a guitar or drum kit would. When I perform as a bass player I bring about $4000 worth of gear to the gig, so to me a Push is cheap :wink: