The file " " could not be decoded using QTKit (error code 0)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ebwally

The file " " could not be decoded using QTKit (error code 0)

Post by ebwally » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 pm

I've got a few problems. I'm using Live 9 in order to playback 1,300 different song/sound/speech tracks at my will. I'm building a long grid that I can mix with.
1. I have been resaving every day with the date stamped in the name and it seems this may have duplicated the files. (After a couple of weeks my brand new MacBook is almost full.)
2. I'm now getting this: The file " " could not be decoded using QTKit (error code 0) and it's taking forever to Buffer samples.
3. I deleted copies of one of the tracks and now Live9 wants me to reload it. How do I avoid an endless loop of frustration.

Please advise.
Thank you so much!!!

Captain Wally
Starship18

www.cosmicruise.com
cosmicruise@mindspring.com

pottering

Re: The file " " could not be decoded using QTKit (error code 0)

Post by pottering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 am

"2" may be a consequence of having your hard drive almost full, like you mentioned in "1".

About "1": Live doesn't copy or duplicate audio files unless the user explicitly tells it to (with Collect All and Save or the file dialog that pops out with certain actions asking if you want to copy or not).

About "3": When you tell Live to copy a file instead of just referencing an existing file, the project will refer to the new copy. If you delete the copy then Live can't find it, obviously.

"How do I avoid an endless loop of frustration.": Maybe stop using "Collect ALL and Save" for Sets or Projects you want referencing the already existing 1300 files. Also, you can save several Sets (.als files) in the same Project (folder), instead of saving a new Project every day (if you are doing that). If you are using freeze, flatten and consolidate, maybe you want to minimize that to only when really needed.
♥♥♥

ebwally

Post by ebwally » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 am

Thank you so much for taking the time Pottering! I really appreciate it. 8O

Nilzie

Post by Nilzie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:30 am

@ebwally - did you find a solution to the QTKit error message? I'm also working with a document that uses many files, both audio and video, and now when trying to open my live document in Ableton 10 (I've been working inside Ableton 9 up til now), Ableton can't load the document, I get the same error message:

The file "xxxx" could not be decoded using QTKit (error code 0)

Cheers
MacBook Pro - 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5 - OSX 10.12.6 - RME Babyface - Ableton Live 10.1.5

Jackson.C

Post by Jackson.C » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:19 am

I changed the name of the file when exporting and it got me passed that error message - however, now I seem to be stuck at "Rendering video (pass 1)" at 0%... but hey; EHFAR right?

borg nagar

Post by borg nagar » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:27 pm

This error message gets displayed quite often when using Ableton Live 9 and Collect all and save.

It might work really well for a good while and then suddenly one video file goes offline.

Not sure if QTKit is crashing or whatever it is.

Live definitely needs to step up their video side. I'm using a lot of reference videos for game audio design, and I'm running into a lot of problems.
---
My Bandcamp page
http://latvamaki.bandcamp.com

Aki Latvamäki Electronic Music Blog
http://latvamaki.blogspot.com