Problem with Drum Racks

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
alvarovazt

Problem with Drum Racks

Post by alvarovazt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently had a Novation Launchpad Pro (mainly for doing covers), and I learnt already how to make covers with YouTube tutorials, but I have a problem.
First of all, I'm using Ableton Live 9 Lite. In my Live Set I've already done all the setup (preparing "Samples" and "Lights" tracks and putting the corresponding racks inside of them, preparing chains for different pages, etc.)
Then, I've sampled part of the song I'm using, to put each sample in the Drum Rack I have in the "Samples" track, but here's where the problem is. In the tutorials I've seen (that are the series of 5 videos by InspirAspir of how to make a launchpad project),to put a sample in a button of the launchpad, what I have to do is to press the button I want to put the sample in on the launchpad, then that specific button should light up in the Drum Rack, and lastly what I should do is just to drag the sample I want into the square that lighted up in the Drum Rack, but in my Drum rack, any square lights up when I press a button in the launchpad, so I can't assign a sample to a button.

I don't know what to do, please help.

pottering

Re: Problem with Drum Racks

Post by pottering » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:48 pm

MIDI Controllers should be plugged BEFORE Live is started, otherwise you need to restart Live.

In the top right of Live there are square "leds" that should light up to indicate MIDI is being received by Live. If they are not lighting up then you should read the manual of the hardware and contact their support.

Drum Racks have a row of square "leds" to the left of the pads, those light up too. Click where it lights up to see the corresponding pads.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 am

pottering wrote:MIDI Controllers should be plugged BEFORE Live is started, otherwise you need to restart Live.
Since Live 9 this is incorrect.. As of Live 9, hot plugging of midi controllers happens automatically unless you've pre-set the control surface to "none"

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... l-Surfaces

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:32 am

Really? It doesn't seem to work here (Windows 10 1803, Live 10.0.3b6).

Maybe it is a PC Windows thing, but MIDI controllers don't seem to be detected in an application that was already open, I always have to restart the app.

Actually, I REALLY wish I was wrong about this.

Anyhow, then I'm have no idea what OP's problem is.