Toggle global quantize

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
washburnbill

Toggle global quantize

Post by washburnbill » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:41 pm

I need to map 1 foot pedal to toggle between global quantize “none” and “1 bar”

I’ve tried:
1. Ive mapped NOTE to the global quantize button, but it scrolls through all settings. So I have to hit the pedal 10 times to get from none to 1 bar.
2. I’ve mapped a CC to the global quantize button and it just switches between none and 1/32.
3. I’ve tried max for live device “quantize mapper” but it only works with 2 different pedals. I need it to be on 1 pedal. If I map both none and 1bar to same pedal it rapidly switches back and forth till ableton freezes and crashes.
4. I have Bome’s Midi Translator but I don’t know how to set it up to take 1 midi note input and have it toggle 2 notes to output

I don’t use any other quantize settings other than none and 1bar so don’t know if there is way to turn off other settings in program folder... then try #2 “CC” might work since it’s the closest I’ve gotten so far.

Side question:
When I have midi channel monitor to “in” to record a clip. How can I automatically switch monitor to “auto” when I stop recording the clip? If monitor “auto” is selected... I can’t hear my vst as I’m recording it, and if monitor “in” is selected I can’t hear the playback until I switch it to “auto”

Windows10, Ableton10, FCB1010, BehringerXR18

McAnix

Re: Toggle global quantize

Post by McAnix » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:04 pm

So a not so elegant solution but I got it to work:

Group quantize mapper.
Map "none" to macro 1 and "1 bar" to macro 2.
MIDI map the same button to mac1 and mac2.
In the MIDI mappings window invert one of the ranges.
Then manually turn one of the marcos opposite to the other. (not sure why it does this?)

When you press your MIDI button the 2 macros should switch opposite to each other.

washburnbill

Post by washburnbill » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:45 pm

I followed instructions exactly and still not working.
It’s doing the rapidly back and forth thing.
Are you getting changes in GLOBAL quantize?
There is a max for live device called quantize mapper but I’m pretty sure it only changes RECORD quantize settings.
I am using device made by AfroDJMac and Loudon Stearns found here:
https://youtu.be/boSLRRsw3m4
It has GLOBAL as well as RECORD quantize settings

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 am

Yup that's the same device I used to test it out.

Um, then the only difference to our setups is different controllers. You mentioned you used a MIDI translator, perhaps turn the toggle function from the MIDI controller off, or change it to a momentary cc value, or anything really, just experiment.

I definitely got it working this side.

Just to be sure as well, there is an update to the device suffixed with "bugfix".

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 pm

It's easy to make a M4L device for this.
Drop me a PM and i'll do it for you if you can wait a few days.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:56 am

Maybe too late, but just discovered it can be done with CLyphX.

It has a "Global Action" called "GQ" that toggles Global Quantization between "None" and the last value (1/32 in this case).

So you simply rename a Dummy Clip "[] GB", maybe set its Quantization to "None" so it triggers instantly, then when you can just MIDI assign it or trigger it with a controller.
♥♥♥