Keeping clip automation envelopes when dragging into arrange

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tjspurge

Keeping clip automation envelopes when dragging into arrange

Post by tjspurge » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:05 pm

As far as I can tell, in live 9, there is no way to make sure that clip envelopes stay with the clip when I drag them into aggangement view from session view. In live 10, do the envelopes stay with the clip when bringing them over to arrangement? It's a major pain to have to copy each individual automation envelope! Before I upgrade to 10, I would love to know if this exists, and I can't seem to find it in the manual. Is it possible in live 9 and I'm just doing something wrong?

pottering

Re: Keeping clip automation envelopes when dragging into arrange

Post by pottering » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm

The way to pass the automation info is by Arrangement Record, where you trigger Clips in Session and that gets recorded in Arrangement.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/sessi ... rrangement

My guess is that they want to avoid the situation where you draw automation in 23 lanes in Arrangement, then you drag a Clip from Session with automation in only 2 lanes, erasing the automation in the other 21 lanes without noticing.

Drag'n'drop is too fast and loose, people do it without thinking, if it overwrote out-of-view data (like automation in multiple lanes) it could be a disaster for many people who don't pay attention.

And "paying attention" by itself is a huge time sink, imagine having to double-check the automation every time after you dragged a Clip into Arrangement (from the Browser too), to be sure stuff is in the right place...
♥♥♥

tjspurge

Re: Keeping clip automation envelopes when dragging into arrange

Post by tjspurge » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:41 pm

I figured as much. I know about Arrangement Record, but I hoped there was a simpler way.

Sometimes when I use Arrangement Record, my delay and reverb tails get cut off, and some things just don't sound exactly the same as when I'm launching clips in session. Also, when I look at what I've recorded, there are blank clips of strange lengths where the silece in my audio tracks is (like some are a bar and a half long) even though all my clips in session are 4 bars long. idk

Oh well, I hope they add this feature at some point, because I like to do most of my automation and "arranging" in individual clips in session view.

My next question would be, is there a way to copy and paste all the clip envelopes at once? Not all of them for the entire project, but all of them for an individual clip.