CPU spikes with just one reverby VST

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jgoodrum

CPU spikes with just one reverby VST

Post by jgoodrum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 am

I have newly built a custom PC with the kit shown at the bottom. When I use even one serum preset the CPU is spiking and all sorts. Im not sure if i have to change any settings.

Please help! thank you!!

Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz
MSI Z97S SLI KRAIT EDITION motherboard Z97 Socket LGA1150 i3 i5 i7 DDR3 32G STAT3 ATX
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Desktop Hard Drive 3.5" SATA III 6GBs 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA SSD - SEE NEW EVO 860 LN87295

jestermgee

Re: CPU spikes with just one reverby VST

Post by jestermgee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:29 pm

No Audio Interface? If not do you have ASIO4All installed?

What version of Live?

jgoodrum

Post by jgoodrum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Sorry I have an Audio Express 6 x 6 Hybrid Firewire Interface

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm

jgoodrum wrote:I have newly built a custom PC with the kit shown at the bottom. When I use even one serum preset the CPU is spiking and all sorts.
Is EIST, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, enabled in BIOS? If so, try and disable this. Intel Turbo Boost should remain enabled. If you run Intel® Power Gadget at the same time as Live what frequency is your CPU operating at during a session?
Make some music!

jgoodrum

Post by jgoodrum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Im struggling with that last sentence. Im running windows 10 so how could i locate these settings. Consider me a complete computer noob

I've just ran Intel Power Gadget at the same time and the CPU is running at 0.60Hz.

Interestingly when ableton's CPU reading is spiking around 85-90 just when im moving a note around the midi section, The Intel Power Gadget reading is peaking at 20%. So I'm assuming this isnt a hardware issue?

I just need to check the EIST, however there isnt much information on google

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

jgoodrum wrote:Im struggling with that last sentence. Im running windows 10 so how could i locate these settings. Consider me a complete computer noob

I've just ran Intel Power Gadget at the same time and the CPU is running at 0.60Hz.

Interestingly when ableton's CPU reading is spiking around 85-90 just when im moving a note around the midi section, The Intel Power Gadget reading is peaking at 20%. So I'm assuming this isnt a hardware issue?
Percentages in Power Gadget? In the 3.0.3 Mac version I run I can only see Power Usage in W, Frequency in GHz and Temperature in C°.

I think there is another built-in CPU meter in Windows, if you want to check core usage and such.

Anyway, before you get into investigating the CPU as jestermgee says you should make sure you're using ASIO4All and a reasonable audio buffer setting like 512 samples or something like that in Live's preferences. That's likely step one. If the problem remains you can see if you can disable EIST.

0.60Hz that you mention is likely the base frequency, the "GT". You want to tell us the "IA". This value is likely 3.60 to 4.00 GHz when your CPU is operating normally.

jgoodrum wrote: I just need to check the EIST, however there isnt much information on google
What you need to search for is your motherboard manual, which I believe can be found here: http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/E7922v2.0.zip. This explain how to boot into BIOS and make these settings. All PC music producers need to do this, unless told it has been done as in a music computer, to make sure they are running in optimal performance mode. I believe some CPUs have a high performance mode, but I didn't see that scanning this manual.

To enter BIOS mode hold down the delete key when booting up. When making changes to the BIOS, be very conscious of what you change and only save the settings at the end of the BIOS setup if you know what you changed.

At the moment I'm very interested in CPU performance in general, especially Intel.
Make some music!

jgoodrum

Post by jgoodrum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 pm

You absolute legend. Its all working perfectly! Thank you so much!
Just disabled the EIST

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:20 pm

jgoodrum wrote:You absolute legend. Its all working perfectly! Thank you so much!
Just disabled the EIST
I think these kinds of settings, as well as drivers such ASIO4All, are common knowledge in these forums, though they are easy to overlook. I was almost convinced it wasn't this setting. Good that you sorted this out,

For completeness, when you have the time and if you want to, it still would be interesting to hear your IA value also now when it's working.
Make some music!

mihai

Post by mihai » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:51 am

Or you can just enable High Performance mode in power settings.

Windows > Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings (on the right side) > High Performance

Or just simply: Windows key + x then o