Ableton slowing down, laggy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
riki2

Ableton slowing down, laggy

Post by riki2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 am

Lately Ableton has been slowing down, after using for about 30 min. to the point I have to quit.
My macbook just slows down and get heated so much altogether.

I haven't tried freezing tracks yet. Called Apple service and did SMC and NVRAM reset but didn't help much.
At first I thought it was my mac problem, but since it only happens with Live, I thought to ask around here to check.

-Can working with mostly wave file slow down?
I used to work with vsti's and only recently switched to hardwares, so working with wave files mostly.

-Can audio card or midi usb cause this kind of problem? I disconnedted all the cables, and it seems better.

Anyway, if anyone knows, pls let me know, thanks!

(Macbook Pro OS Sierra 10.12.2 / Ableton 9)

wearemindflux

Re: Ableton slowing down, laggy

Post by wearemindflux » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 pm

What buffer size, sample size are you running your sessions at?

Does any of your out board gear (audio interfaces etc) have a clock?

What plugins are you running?

Do you have the wi fi or any other apps running while you have ableton open?
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:41 pm

I'm far from a Mac guy (and you didn't post your hardware specs) but if it's heating up and you start getting degraded performance that sounds like it's being loaded up until it throttles and based on what I have read, it's pretty common in these new super thin laptops.

Could try a stop-gap solution of trying to cool the laptop using a cooler fan bed/stand thing

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:57 am

Same problem here :-(
I do not think it has anything to do with WiFi, heat or hardware. For the last 2-3 months I have had no issues (but running the same OS, same software and no hardware changes).

I'm sure it is software problem. When I open very small projects or new project - no problem. IT starts bugging down when open larger projects (either moe tracks or longer time).
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu