Record Quantize and sequencer sounding double notes

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Johnny Vulcan

Record Quantize and sequencer sounding double notes

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 am

Hey All - When record quantize is turned on, and the track is set to Auto, playing in notes by hand while recording a clip is doing this weird thing where if I'm a little early relative to the grid, I'll hear the note I played, then almost instantly after I'll hear the note play again where the sequencer locked it to the grid. It's sort of a doubling/flamming sound. Obviously this doesn't happen if record quantize is turned off, or if I'm not recording. It happens with any midi controller including Push, and no, I don't have fx or routing that would contribute to this. I'm not looping the clip either, it's just free running.

But here's the thing I don't get: I've been using Live for years and never noticed this behavior. In the past it's always been like the sequencer is mute until it actually loops a clip. Has the quantized note sounding thing always been there, and I just strangely never noticed? Thanks!

chrk

Re: Record Quantize and sequencer sounding double notes

Post by chrk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 am

Just a faint suspicion, not tested: Is the preview switch in your midi editor (headphone symbol left of the piano roll) on?

Preview sounds when you move notes, so may be it does too when the quantize moves them.

Johnny Vulcan

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:59 am

Nope, preview switch is not on. Thanks for taking a shot though. Anyone else? Is this expected behavior or no?

Johnny Vulcan

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Bump. I'm really hoping someone could just confirm whether this is expected behavior or not. Thanks.

Drumtrax

Post by Drumtrax » Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm

+1 same issue here, can someone confirm if this is expected behavior?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:18 pm

It seems to happen when midi note chasing is turned on (in conjunction with record quantize).
It's a known issue.
Ableton Forum Moderator

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:48 pm

this one's been around since at least Live 9, maybe earlier. it happens regardless of the chase midi notes state.

example: set auto-quantize to quarter notes and play in a repeating pad/key on the off-beat...

metronome:
x - - - x - - - x - - - x - - -

you play a sound on the off-beat:
- - x - - - x - - - x - - - x -

what you hear from the sound:
- - x - x - x - x - x - x - x -