Live 10.0.3: unclear bugfix with fade handles

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
locojohn

Live 10.0.3: unclear bugfix with fade handles

Post by locojohn » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 am

Live 10.0.3 changelog says:

[*]Fade handles could be edited using the mouse or keyboard, even after switching to Automation Mode, where the fade handles are not visible.

I tried adjusting handles in automation mode and it does not work. I'd like to ask if anyone else has found a way to adjust fades in automation mode or maybe can explain to me what this bug fix was intended to really mean?

Thanks,
Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Live 10.0.3: unclear bugfix with fade handles

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 am

Hi Locojohn,

Sorry if this isn't clear.
It means that, at some point, the described behaviour was unintentionally working i.e you were able to modify fades with the mouse/arrow keys even though they weren't visible (in automation mode).
I personally liked that, but it was apparently not by designed and so was qualified as a bug.

We should probably make it clearer in the release notes.
Ableton Forum Moderator

locojohn

Re: Live 10.0.3: unclear bugfix with fade handles

Post by locojohn » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:22 am

[jur] wrote:I personally liked that, but it was apparently not by designed and so was qualified as a bug.
We should probably make it clearer in the release notes.
I personally find that adjusting fades as well as some other features should work in both automation and “content” editing modes, as otherwise it’s a blow to the workflow. In the end the “A” key becomes the most frequently used keyboard shortcut, by a large margin. So many functions are only available in a partucular mode, and it takes time to figure why options are missing in popup menus. This is really counter-intuitive and even annoying, don’t you think?

Plus, you can break your “A” key at some point :)
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/