Step Sequencer

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
marcstorey

Step Sequencer

Post by marcstorey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi

I have trial version of live 10 and m4l, which I will buy, just borrowing a launchpad pro and really want to add step sequencing. Wondered what is the best thing to buy for a newbie, I don't mind either hardware or software the abelton launchpadpro 95 does not work for me so want to look elsewhere. I only have a budget for the launchpad which buying and 100 on top. I cannot afford nor not want push.

Be grateful for sensible answers as a lot mis mash of advice on the internet as this appears a great forum

many thanks for reading

Marc

justanametouse

Re: Step Sequencer

Post by justanametouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Any reason that you're not interested in a Push rather than a Launchpad Pro + something else that would end up doing things already possible with the Push? Just curious.

marcstorey

Post by marcstorey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi

Cost of push 2 way out of budget have 100 to spare for thethis as getting launchpad pro mate rates

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Fair enough. You could probably find a slightly used, but still mint Push 2 for not much more than a new LP Pro + $100. You could also save by purchasing a secondhand Ableton license to allow for some more money for a controller. A Push 1 is also an affordable option.

But anyhow, if you’re only looking for step sequencing, maybe a Beatstep? I’m not really sure what their functionality with Live is like, TBH, but worth looking into.

marcstorey

Post by marcstorey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:58 am

fab thanks someon else said beatstep in a recent shop visit so will have a look- would basic version be ok ,

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm

If you want hardware then the Beatstep Pro or Doepfer Dark Time are good. The (non-Pro) Beatstep is very basic, too simple to do a lot of things step sequencers are used for.

In software, Sugar Bytes Thesys is a very good step sequencer indeed and lets you do all kinds of things “on the fly”.
Live 10 Suite, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.