Step Sequencer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
marcstorey

Step Sequencer

Post by marcstorey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi

I have trial version of live 10 and m4l, which I will buy, just borrowing a launchpad pro and really want to add step sequencing. Wondered what is the best thing to buy for a newbie, I don't mind either hardware or software the abelton launchpadpro 95 does not work for me so want to look elsewhere. I only have a budget for the launchpad which buying and 100 on top. I cannot afford nor not want push.

Be grateful for sensible answers as a lot mis mash of advice on the internet as this appears a great forum

many thanks for reading

Marc

justanametouse

Re: Step Sequencer

Post by justanametouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Any reason that you're not interested in a Push rather than a Launchpad Pro + something else that would end up doing things already possible with the Push? Just curious.

marcstorey

Post by marcstorey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi

Cost of push 2 way out of budget have 100 to spare for thethis as getting launchpad pro mate rates

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Fair enough. You could probably find a slightly used, but still mint Push 2 for not much more than a new LP Pro + $100. You could also save by purchasing a secondhand Ableton license to allow for some more money for a controller. A Push 1 is also an affordable option.

But anyhow, if you’re only looking for step sequencing, maybe a Beatstep? I’m not really sure what their functionality with Live is like, TBH, but worth looking into.

marcstorey

Post by marcstorey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:58 am

fab thanks someon else said beatstep in a recent shop visit so will have a look- would basic version be ok ,

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm

If you want hardware then the Beatstep Pro or Doepfer Dark Time are good. The (non-Pro) Beatstep is very basic, too simple to do a lot of things step sequencers are used for.

In software, Sugar Bytes Thesys is a very good step sequencer indeed and lets you do all kinds of things “on the fly”.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.