Band Splitting for different FX on different bands

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lancerc88

Band Splitting for different FX on different bands

Post by lancerc88 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Hello all,

I am seeking advice on what FX / plugins you would suggest for splitting frequency bands on a sound when you want to treat each part of the spectrum differently.

I have been creating an audio effect rack with three chains and then placing an instance of multiband dynamics with a single band (low, mid, or high) soloed on each chain so that I can process each band separately, but I feel that this approach colors the sound and can sound a bit odd. Is there another approach someone would suggest?

I found the post below which suggests that I use FabFilter Pro-Q to split my bands, which I own already, but my question in regard to the post below is: How steep of a slope should I use when splitting the bands using Pro-Q? Should my crossover points for each band share frequencies at all or should they cut off at different frequencies so there is no overlap?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=221632&hilit=band+split

justanametouse

Re: Band Splitting for different FX on different bands

Post by justanametouse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I'd just use an EQ/filter to split up the frequencies rather than the multiband dynamics device. Also, yes, you should have the slighty overlapping, otherwise you'll get some weird filtering stuff going on. As far as the slope, do it to taste - there are no set rules.

lancerc88

Post by lancerc88 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 pm

justanametouse wrote:yes, you should have the slighty overlapping, otherwise you'll get some weird filtering stuff going on. As far as the slope, do it to taste - there are no set rules.
I've always been confused about how much one should allow frequencies to bleed over when you are splitting sounds like this. I often ponder how much overlap there should be between my sub bass and my basses that occupy my mid range because I always split them into two different tracks/in.

So let's say I am splitting Low band and Mid band. I could have my low cut off around 128 Hz and then allow my mid band start it's crossover at around 120 Hz? You may not know, but Im just trying to get an idea. I may be overthinking it.

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:17 pm

lancerc88 wrote:
justanametouse wrote:yes, you should have the slighty overlapping, otherwise you'll get some weird filtering stuff going on. As far as the slope, do it to taste - there are no set rules.
I've always been confused about how much one should allow frequencies to bleed over when you are splitting sounds like this. I often ponder how much overlap there should be between my sub bass and my basses that occupy my mid range because I always split them into two different tracks/in.

So let's say I am splitting Low band and Mid band. I could have my low cut off around 128 Hz and then allow my mid band start it's crossover at around 120 Hz? You may not know, but Im just trying to get an idea. I may be overthinking it.
Here's a nice old thread with some good discourse on this. It seems a lot of people also like to use Multiband Dynamics:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225369

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Have a look at something like this for a non-overlapping mutliband splitter.
Ableton Forum Moderator