how to create a manual gate so hitting pad lets audio thru?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lukegail

how to create a manual gate so hitting pad lets audio thru?

Post by lukegail » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Hey Guys,

lets say i have a long sound element, and i want the signal to change between mute and let through for a rhythmn effect. of course i could manually write an automation on the mixer volume, but i want the signal to be active by pushing down one of my pads, so i can create neat rhythm effects, which i couldn't using only the mouse and without hearing it live.

how could this be done? i can set an automation control on my knobs, yes, but i dont want a curve - i want clean cuts, just like the on / off automation works.

any ideas?

thanks!

pottering

Re: how to create a manual gate so hitting pad lets audio thru?

Post by pottering » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 pm

You can MIDI Assign the device on/off button of a Utility, or MIDI Assign a pad to a Gain knob somewhere (it then usually switches between 2 states, like between 0 and full gain).

Obs: You can even MIDI Assign a range of MIDI keyboard keys to a parameter, by holding a key and then clicking another key to set a range.
♥♥♥

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:35 am

Easiest way is to map the pad to the track's Mute button (above Solo).
You'll need to set the pad (you don't say which device) to send CC data, not NOTE data - so that it'll work as a momentary control ('on' while held). If your pads send notes, then you're stuck with toggle control (first press 'on', second press 'off')

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Put a gate on the track, set the floor to zero, then side chain the gate to a track that has a drum rack, any instrument would do, I guess percussive sounds with a sharp transient would work best. You could even side chain it from a live instrument.