Midi velocity automation of a single pad note

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lwpweb

Midi velocity automation of a single pad note

Post by lwpweb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 am

Hello, i know i can single midi notes automate with the draw mode, this is ok. But how can i change (automate) the volume of a single note which spreads of multiple bars as part of a played chord?

wearemindflux

Re: Midi velocity automation of a single pad note

Post by wearemindflux » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:25 am

So you want the volume of your chord to rise over a period of time?

If so you can do this via clip automation. Right click on the volume of the instrument or better still add a utility at the end of your chain and automate the gain on that.

That will stop the signal (preset) from being disputed. For example, if you have compression after your synth and you adjusted the volume of the synth, this would affect the signal going into the compressor.

If it is only one note thou...

What you need to do is group your sound into an instrument rack. Now duplicate the chain, in the first chain have 2-3 notes of your chord and in the second chain the one note you wish to raise the volume of. From that point to raise the volume to follow the steps above.

I hope this helps.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

lwpweb

Post by lwpweb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks for contribution of this workaround. I was looking and i would be happy when this will be implemented for a quick direct method to automate velocity on a single long pad note as you can do it for clips or tracks.

diegux

Post by diegux » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am

lwpweb wrote:Thanks for contribution of this workaround. I was looking and i would be happy when this will be implemented for a quick direct method to automate velocity on a single long pad note as you can do it for clips or tracks.
I don't think it will ever happen. Live is about simplicity, and exponentially growing your options by using "workarounds" that will let you do almost anything. And that is the beauty of it.

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:22 pm

You can't automate velocity that way.

In the MIDI standard "velocity" is not a continuous message you can automate after the note started, it is a single value sent together with the "note on".

It doesn't continue after the "note on", so there is nothing to be automated in the middle of the note, after the "note on".

Some DAWs invented a new proprietary parameter that only works only in that specific DAW, and only with its own devices, it doesn't work with any VST.

So if you are using VSTs for those chords, those VSTs wouldn't accept any non-MIDI message anyways, even if Ableton did invent one.
♥♥♥