Video Crash Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HayltheAngel

Video Crash Live 10

Post by HayltheAngel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 am

Hello,

My Ableton Live 10 Crashes 99/100 times loading a project that is included a video (mp4).
Als it crashes when I start a new project and load a video in ableton arrangement view.

Any one can help?

Thank you,
HtA

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Video Crash Live 10

Post by [jur] » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Did you read this?
Even though the articles recommends MP4, I personally don't.
Ableton Forum Moderator

HayltheAngel

Post by HayltheAngel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:48 am

Thank you for the reply.

I've read that page and tried kinda everything. Also all the codecs and different file formats.
Also tried to run as administrator and running in compatibility mode. I tried a lot of things.
I did also run updates for windows, my GFX card, vst's and so on.

So I did a little research and found out that loading/importing a video is not the issue while starting a new project.
It is a problem on projects that are work in progress. So I've used a lot of plugins. (Kontakt, Reaktor and Albion, Massive etc.)

I tried to delete some of the tracks and plugins in the arrangementview. Kept trying - trial and error...
So then suddenly it worked, I found out it was a Kontakt plugin from the factory library. A synth sound.
That specific track I deleted and then it worked, the video loaded. So I closed Ableton and later I tried again, to delete that specific track again and load the video in the project,
then it didn't work. I found out that deleting an other track also worked now but didn't work before. But later deleting that specific track suddenly didn't work. And so on and so on.
It looks like it is somehow related to kontakt but not always the same vst/track.

For me it seems now that importing or opening an existing project with video and plugins causes a crash. It is not the video alone or the plugins alone, it is the two together.

I cannot find exactly what it is causing so I have a crashdumb and this is what it says

I hope this will help a little more helping me.

Thanks in advance,
HtA

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 am

It seems like you're still running Live 10.0.1.
Any reason for that? The latest version is 10.0.3.
Ableton Forum Moderator

HayltheAngel

Post by HayltheAngel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 am

That is crazy because I have Ableton automatically running updates and since I know I've had Ableton run the latest version.
This is a screenshot my Ableton version.

In the folder adres it says the dmp. file is from 10.0.1 while the Ableton version that I opened is 10.0.3.
The crashdumpfile I uploaded is recent though: 16-09-2018.

Last edited by HayltheAngel on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 am

My bad, you're using 10.0.3, I didn't look at the right info.
Ableton Forum Moderator

HayltheAngel

Post by HayltheAngel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:07 am

No problem! I'm happy you are trying to think with me. And responding to my issue!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 am

Been a while since I did a project with film and it was Live 9 I think (maybe even 8) but it’s always been a pain to use.

From foggy memory I recall having to use MOV but I was sent a transcode in MOV which wouldn’t work at all and I had to use a converter to basically convert fromMOV to MOV but some combination of settings worked.

Took some experimenting but I recon I used a small 30 sec file and used a converter (imtoompeg encoder) and tried settings till something worked. Not quite sure on what else to suggest. If I ever need to track Foley and dialog to film again I’m just going to invest in Nuendo as that was a breeze.

HayltheAngel

Post by HayltheAngel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Yeah I tried mov. but it doesn't work :(
Whilst I can load mp4. but somehow in a project with certain vst's especially kontakt, it crashes.
It's like the RAM/cache cannot handle it while I have 16GB's and Ableton is on a high priority memorywise.

I have two video projects I am working on right now, it is really now to me.
Ableton is a nice program for creating music and flowing. But at the moment it is really struggle because I can't work on it.

HayltheAngel

Re: Video Crash Live 10 [SOLVED]

Post by HayltheAngel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:26 am

Hi,

To let you all know. Ableton Support helped me out!
What I did automate the Ableton.exe file to start without administrator rights, also CCCP codec pack must be installed.
Now it works. No crashes.

Happy.

Greetings,
HtA

Joonasamuel

Post by Joonasamuel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Hey! Came about this topic today as I'm struggling wth the exact same problem. How exactly did you "automate" the .exe to start without admin rights?

SpinachEater

Post by SpinachEater » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am

Joonasamuel wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:39 pm
Hey! Came about this topic today as I'm struggling wth the exact same problem. How exactly did you "automate" the .exe to start without admin rights?
Yeah same problem here. Could someone explain the admin rights problem? Does that mean just run the program NOT as admin? I get crashing when I try to export the video project. The audio renders fine but the video is corrupted. I have the codec pack...bumped all of my midi to audio...still crash like crazy. I did submit a crash report but no word yet.

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Yeah same problem here. Could someone explain the admin rights problem? Does that mean just run the program NOT as admin? I get crashing when I try to export the video project. The audio renders fine but the video is corrupted. I have the codec pack...bumped all of my midi to audio...still crash like crazy. I did submit a crash report but no word yet.
Same problem here on mac os. Everytime i try to render a video (.mov file) Live get stuck and i have to force it to quit. I did submit several crash reports but i will get in touch with support.

Kopfgestaltung

Post by Kopfgestaltung » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:48 am

Same for me. It was always tricky to get Ableton working with video properly. But now i can´t even open a project i´m working on and it´s a client job. That´s really disappointing. Why are the proper drivers or codecs or whatever not simply installed with the Ableton installer. Please fix these issues when working with video.

rlf1301

Post by rlf1301 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 am

This video/Kontakt issue has haunted me for the last year. Not been able to find any fixes. Ableton's proposed solutions aren't working for me. If someone has cracked this issue and can spell out the fix for a layman such as myself I would be eternally grateful.