Video Crash Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Skyjaam

Re: Video Crash Live 10

Post by Skyjaam » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:04 pm

I have also the same problem. Ableton crashes when I open a project with video and using Kontakt. Can someone help us ? Thank you very much !!!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:29 pm

Skyjaam wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:04 pm
I have also the same problem. Ableton crashes when I open a project with video and using Kontakt. Can someone help us ? Thank you very much !!!
Can you be more specific (software and OS versions...)?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Z Wolf

Post by Z Wolf » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 am

Hey! Came across this thread as I’m having the same issue. I’m going to be scoring a full-length film in the near future and I’m using Spitfire’s Kontakt libraries heavily so I’m desperately gonna need a fix for this issue.

I tried all night to get Ableton to render video with no luck. I’m running 10.1 on MacOS High Sierra. Someone please help, I’ll rip my hair out if I have to do this in Logic! Haha

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:58 am

Z Wolf wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 am
Hey! Came across this thread as I’m having the same issue. I’m going to be scoring a full-length film in the near future and I’m using Spitfire’s Kontakt libraries heavily so I’m desperately gonna need a fix for this issue.

I tried all night to get Ableton to render video with no luck. I’m running 10.1 on MacOS High Sierra. Someone please help, I’ll rip my hair out if I have to do this in Logic! Haha
Please contact support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:48 am

Do you still experiencing this issue with the latest L10 version? Since L10.1.2 the video is handled differently.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Z Wolf

Post by Z Wolf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:48 am
Do you still experiencing this issue with the latest L10 version? Since L10.1.2 the video is handled differently.
Tried it again last night with 10.1.4 and it worked. Thanks for the tip!!

AlanWools

Re: Video Crash Live 10 [SOLVED]

Post by AlanWools » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:15 pm

HayltheAngel wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:26 am
Hi,

To let you all know. Ableton Support helped me out!
What I did automate the Ableton.exe file to start without administrator rights, also CCCP codec pack must be installed.
Now it works. No crashes.

Happy.

Greetings,
HtA
THIS ONE HELP TO ME!!! thank you! :D :D :D

PXander

Post by PXander » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:32 pm

Took me about 10 hours to figure out, and ended up getting it through sheer guessing and checking. So here's how I got it to work

1) convert the file using the method described here : https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... with-Video
-Essentially, use handbrake, use preset called production proxy 1080p under Production, go to video, and in extra options change "keyint=1" to keyint=25
2) uninstall all codecs using "add or remove program."
3) install K-lite codec mega. Don't delete installation exe, you're gonna need it again. This is the guess and step check. First time I would try seeing if default installation works. if it doesn't, run the original exe again. Select update and modify, and select some new settings. For me what worked, was selecting ffdshow video coder with everything. Youll get some warnings. ignore them, and try it out. And if that doesn't work, try some other settings. Takes about 30 seconds to reinstall so guess and check away,
4) If you have nvidia check this out https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... ettings%3F
-set up your desktop shortcut so you can right click abelton, and run as either Nvidia card, or integrated card. again, play around for both, for me integrated worked, combined with the ffdshow from step 3

Overall, play around with integrated vs card and processor, and install settings in Klite. Hopefully, this works for someone as well. Cause I was about 40 minutes from buying a new DAW

Quick edit: noticed if I try to add a video to existing project, it crashes, but works fine with new. So I simply created a new one, imported video, and then imported all instruments from previous project. You can do that from the left sidebar, import your project locatoin, and you can literally drag in your tracks from any file

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:41 pm

Xander, did you try chatting about this with support@ableton.com?
Ableton Forum Moderator

MattyB84

Post by MattyB84 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Hey so I found a quick fix for this issue. I moved the video file so that Ableton couldn't find the video on start-up which allowed me to get into my project. I think I might have had to many tracks using VST's (Spitfire BBC Symphony Orch). I froze and flattened all of these and then searched for and reloaded the video. This seemed to work. I think it's a good solution if you can't get into the project, however this doesn't fill me with confidence. I want to get into composing/scoring, and I don't like Logic! Hoping Ableton 11 will have this issue fixed.

Shyprince

Post by Shyprince » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm

My solution:
1) Uninstall all codec
2) Update your graphic card
3) Download and install K-lite codec mega from https://codecguide.com/download_k-lite_ ... k_mega.htm. Do full installation (profile 9 "lots of stuff" but keep everything else by the default.
4) Download MatroskaSplitter from https://haali.su/mkv/ - top right corner. In setup options uncheck "Disable MPC Internar Matroska splitter" and uncheck "Disable Gabest's Matroska splitter". Enable support for all formats.

That's it! Hopefully, that would also solve your problem!

Rigadon

Post by Rigadon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:37 am

I have the same issues and although I am able to open projects with video using my current codecs etc. it is still temperamental.

A few tips that are not solutions but might help:

1. I've just noticed someone else made the same suggestion, well worth taking note but before opening a project that crashes upon opening, rename the video in your file explorer such that Ableton cannot locate the asset. That way the project will almost certainly load, meaning you have at least not lost your audio work.

2. Dual screening can cause issues; disable your secondary display to prevent Ableton loading the video player onto the secondary display. Turn the display back on once you've loaded the video (if you can!).

3. I have one video project that seems to consistently load for me; opening this project before opening a problematic project has often meant the problematic project will load. I think, by having loaded a video already you have instantiated whatever video decoder / video plugin (I don't know exactly) within Ableton meaning when you open the problematic video audio project it has already done some of the donkey work. You could also try this with a brand new project, load a video then try opening your problematic project.

4. Trying reducing the resolution of any video you are working with. I was previously loading 4K footage I had recorded in a video game; I now reduce my files to 720p. I have no evidence that this helps crashes but I assume it puts less strain on the systems as it's not having to decode the larger file.

Hope this helps someone.

Yustis

Post by Yustis » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:40 am

PXander wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:32 pm
Took me about 10 hours to figure out, and ended up getting it through sheer guessing and checking. So here's how I got it to work

1) convert the file using the method described here : https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... with-Video
-Essentially, use handbrake, use preset called production proxy 1080p under Production, go to video, and in extra options change "keyint=1" to keyint=25
2) uninstall all codecs using "add or remove program."
3) install K-lite codec mega. Don't delete installation exe, you're gonna need it again. This is the guess and step check. First time I would try seeing if default installation works. if it doesn't, run the original exe again. Select update and modify, and select some new settings. For me what worked, was selecting ffdshow video coder with everything. Youll get some warnings. ignore them, and try it out. And if that doesn't work, try some other settings. Takes about 30 seconds to reinstall so guess and check away,
4) If you have nvidia check this out https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... ettings%3F
-set up your desktop shortcut so you can right click abelton, and run as either Nvidia card, or integrated card. again, play around for both, for me integrated worked, combined with the ffdshow from step 3

Overall, play around with integrated vs card and processor, and install settings in Klite. Hopefully, this works for someone as well. Cause I was about 40 minutes from buying a new DAW

Quick edit: noticed if I try to add a video to existing project, it crashes, but works fine with new. So I simply created a new one, imported video, and then imported all instruments from previous project. You can do that from the left sidebar, import your project locatoin, and you can literally drag in your tracks from any file
THIS WORKS FOR ME. THANKS! :D
opening a new project or even an existing one.

ggbrown

Post by ggbrown » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:17 am

Doesnt uninstalling the onboard video codecs on my pc mess with stuff?

I'm wanting to follow these steps above here but my fear center is exploding. Please alleviate.

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:48 am

other daws have simply working video implementation..

please ableton do something here. i dont want to fumble around on my own in my computer to MAYBE make this work.

there are people messing with film and want to use live....

please