Video Crash Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agamben

Re: Video Crash Live 10

Post by agamben » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:04 pm

Playing a simple mp4 video into a 'professional' DAW in 2023 shouldn't be like going down the rabbit hole.

I repeat myself a lot in these forums hoping someone at Ableton will finally hear me/us and solve this video playback problem which has been here since Live exists :

Unlike all other DAWS, Live is broken on Windows with video, and unfortunately nobody at Ableton seems to care.
Try to import ANY video file on the timeline in Studio One, Cubase, Reaper and Live on a Windows PC and compare the results, you'll see what I mean.
And you can try to install any codec pack in the world - that other DAWS don't need by the way - it's unlikely that it will solve the problem.

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:25 pm

i am totally with you and will chime in every single time until ableton makes video work on windows

agamben

Post by agamben » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:11 pm

@Trevbo: I wasn't addressing you, sorry for the misunderstanding. We're both Live users and on the same boat on this matter. That's nice from you to help others, and it's good this workaround works for you.

Out of curiosity: do you use a single, or several monitors ? And did you already try to have the video window in Live playing on a second monitor ? Did you already use several monitors with different resolutions (like one 4K primary and one fullHD secondary for ex.) at the same time ? Because in all these scenarios I've never seen Live behaving correctly with video, even when the files were encoded following their exact recommandations.

My point is: a 500€ dollar Daw SHOULD have a decent video support to start with, no matter which obscure and not-supported anymore codec pack you install on your machine. It should at least PLAY simple mp4 files. Every other Daw in existence does that.

Speaking of Ableton support, I contacted them years ago for this problem and after a few exchanges they had no solution except installing other drivers for my GPU, which of course didn't work. They just left me in this 'un-resolved' state. And it's all they are able to do for the moment because I maintain that Live video support is broken on Windows, and they need to rework that part of the program. Concerning video codecs, KLite, CCCP, ffdshow, Matrowska... I think I tried them all.

I spent thousands on Live throughout the years because it's the tool I prefer for making music, but I'll be glad someone at Ableton finally look into the question of video support seriously.

agamben

Post by agamben » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 am

Hey Trevbo, yes I did try the Matroska already, that's actually the one Ableton recommend to install in their FAQ.

In my case it doesn't work : most of the time Live freezes as soon as I move the video file over the timeline. If it doesn't freeze instantly then it happens randomly a few seconds later, while I play the file. Then I can't do anything except force-quit the program (and pray I don't lose my work).

I use Nvidia too and 2 monitors (4K and full HD), but believe me I have used a lot of different computers and display configurations, and a lot of different Live versions (I'm a long time user) and I have never seen Live work correctly with video in any of them.

Before this actual 'mp4/alternative codecs' problem there was the 'only MOV files' with Apple Quicktime no more supported on Windows, and that was not better...

Anyway, thanks for your help man :D

agamben

Post by agamben » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:19 am

Ok good !
May I ask you a few more questions (when you have a moment) :

- Are you on Windows 10 or 11 ?

- Live 11 ? Other version ?

- Both displays have the same resolution ?

- Do you have high resolution display ? (if so, do you use high dpi mode under Live's preferences ?)

- What happens when you move the video window from one screen to the other ? When you resize it ?

agamben

Post by agamben » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:47 am

I tend to keep the window small especially l when i save the project.... these are my own little rules I follow to avoid risk.
So you're not that reassured, aren't you ? :)

Indeed video must work better in Live when both displays have the same resolution.
What bugs me if that I have no problems in all other Daws I use. I have an i9 12900 and gtx 1660 so that should be more than enough to handle one 4k and one 1080p display...

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:23 am

i have two display,too.

and a 1080p mp4 does simply not work...

i will try the drivers mentioned in this thread.

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:29 pm

Note that the Haali Media Splitter cannot handle videos larger than 1920x1080.