Help! probelms with choppy video playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yaron_e

Help! probelms with choppy video playback

Post by yaron_e » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi guys,

For an upcoming stage project, I need to be able to play video from my laptop, as well as multitrack audio. In addition, I need to be able to loop certain parts and to jump to cues via key commands. I was hoping I'd be able to achieve this in Live 9.7.7 (which is the version I own). I set the project up in arrangement view with everything I need, and everything seems to be ok, apart from the fact that the video doesn't play smoothly (the playback is jumpy and choppy).

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue, and if there is any recommended solution. I've heard suggestions to reduce the size of the video files, but unfortunately this is not possibly as it would reduce video quality. Could this be a video format issue? If so, what is the recommended format?

I've been told that this is a well known issue in Ableton, and so if it is not possible to do this in Live, I'd appreciate recommendations for other software that might suit my needs (video playback, multitrack audio, cue & looping capabilities).

Many thanks!

ikeaboy

Re: Help! probelms with choppy video playback

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:43 pm

It’s hard to get information on what codecs work best with live 64 bit. MP4 over MKV I think is a good start. Otherwise Resolume works very well with live and do everything you want and much more without too much of a learning curve but it is around €400 or €200 with an education discount. There is a cool way to do this with max4live using a suit of devices that allow you to trigger video with midi it’s called Vizzable.