Live 10 super slow

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aklisiewicz

Live 10 super slow

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:49 am

I've seen some complains about Live becoming very slow. Now it happens to me.
Running Win10/62, 32Gig of RAM and 5core Intel, with 2 SSD frives. The computer itself is flying fast but last 2-3 projects became very slow.
One of them is about 60 min sound but it only has 4 midi tracks. Also when I go to settings screen switching between tabs takes from 5 to 20 sec.
Often when recording I click STOP and it stops after 3-5 sec. Generally it is alsmost impossible to work. I have plenty of HD space and nothing really resource intesive running in the background.

Some people reported here issue related to hardware but I tried with only one midi keyboard connected and one midi/sound interface and no change.
I wonder if anyobdy has resolved this issue ?

ARTHUR
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

jestermgee

Re: Live 10 super slow

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:22 pm

What is your audio interface ?

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:01 pm

interface: 4-in/4-out BEHRINGER- USB3

I do not think it has anything to do with interface. Everything was working fine for 3-5 months. No changes to hardware and I did not update the interface driver.
Sadarahu

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Had the lagging / freezing as well, here is a fix, which solved it for me (also suggested by the support):

-Create an option text file like in the description here:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-txt-file

-copy this text inside the text file: -_ForceGdiBackend

-put it in the folder as described in the upper link

-restart Live 10.03 (or install it)
Last edited by mr.adl on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:30 pm

aklisiewicz wrote:interface: 4-in/4-out BEHRINGER- USB3

I do not think it has anything to do with interface. Everything was working fine for 3-5 months. No changes to hardware and I did not update the interface driver.
It's not just about thinking if it is the issue. When asking for help on forums others need to know what kind of rig your eyeballs are looking at. I traded my powers of perception for magic beans which was a mistake so I have to now ask about all the details people don't "see" as important to share.

You are also using non-specific terms such as:

"last 2-3 projects became very slow."
- How so? How does it "become" slow and what happend (timestretch slow, starts skipping, response and GUI refresh starts going slow, tempo starts to slow down, it becomes "special slow")?

"it only has 4 midi tracks. "
- OK, but what do you have on these tracks so those that also have the same plugins can at least compare if they have had issues with the same plugins.

Also, the resolution you are running could be handy as the issues I have seen appear to be related to high resolution displays and this HI-DPI stuff which IO have none of the issues you have detailed on Win10/64 running an i7 4890K @ 4Ghz, 16GB Ram, 3 x SSD Samsung EVO etc. but I run at 1080p not a high res but have 3 monitors attached.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:40 am

As far as interface: BEHRINGER UMC-404
SLOW = even switching Tabs in settings takes 4-8 sec. that should be enoug information.
Now, having that said. I removed and reinstalled the DEHRINGER UMC drived and amazingly it came back to normal for some time but after few days of use it is as slow as it was. Not sure what affects it but there was some strance corelation. In my case it has nothing to do with the screen or video (which is at 30 MHz but I'm running 3 x 4k monitors).

Yes when I open blank set everything works fine so that means the performance is affected by the project, but even with small projcest 3-5 tracks there are issues. For example when I play 4-5 tracks (all MIDI) click STOP it takes 5 sec to stop playing.
Sadarahu

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:43 am

mr.adl - your links are DEAD
Sadarahu

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 am

aklisiewicz wrote:mr.adl - your links are DEAD
Here is the link:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... s-txt-file

See description on what to do in my post above. This is what the ableton support wrote to me.

stekra

Post by stekra » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:06 am

Hi there,

this really works.
I had the same problem and Live 10 runs now like it should.

Update: Okay. It seemd to work. But only after a few clicks, Ableton returend to his slow behaviour.
Example: When I delete a track in the Arrangement view, Ableton needs more than 10 seconds to do so and shows this "waiting ring" and at the top line of the window, the message [not responding]. Not good

Thx a lot!

pitchpole

Post by pitchpole » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:57 am

I had the same problem, out of nowhere Ableton started taking a very long time to load. Very long. And then playback eventually got so bad it was completely unusable. I tried some of the recommendations on the forums but nothing worked. So I uninstalled everything and deactivated all my licenses etc. Wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows. Works totally fine now. Pray to God it doesn't happen again. It takes a lot of hours to reinstall all my software and plugins. But at least my PC works again.