Recording, but not editing, at high sample rate

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cinningbao

Recording, but not editing, at high sample rate

Post by cinningbao » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:16 pm

I wonder, in order to save some CPU cycles.. if I record audio at 96khz, perform adjustments with Complex Pro at 44.1khz, and render out at 96khz, am I losing quality post the Complex Pro adjustments?

Bdumaguina

Re: Recording, but not editing, at high sample rate

Post by Bdumaguina » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:32 pm

You mean when you perform warping edits? Hmmm. In my opinion, any time you down sample a file, you start degrading the original one. And when you up sample it back to 96kHz, it won't be the same.

cinningbao

Post by cinningbao » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks Bdumaguina.

I think you misunderstand my question though. I'm asking if Ableton Live will apply the 96khz version of the Complex Pro Algorithm on rendering, after recording at 96khz but manipulating at 44.1khz.
I'm looking for a definitive answer from Ableton; this will have to have been explicitly coded for any of it to work.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Warping is real-time, so if you down-sample to 44.1k before using Complex Pro then it will obviously not apply the "96k version", now that the file is 44.1k.

Also, Live converts the files to its current sample rate (in Preferences), so if you drop a 44.1k file into a 96k project it will be converted to 96k (and vice-versa).
♥♥♥

cinningbao

Post by cinningbao » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi pottering,

I'm not sure warping _is_ realtime; you can't perform warping on a voice as you are speaking - it is an offline process which calculates the end sound when ever you twist a dial or slider associated with the function.

You're other statement is along the lines of the information I am looking for, but you misunderstand my situation.

This is the process I am asking about:

- record audio as 96k
- switch project to 44.1k to make Complex Pro adjustments
- switch back to 96k to render

I would like to know if Live will 'upscale' the Complex Pro adjustments when going back to 96k.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Warping is recalculated real-time every-time you press play, it is not rendered to a cache file.

That's how you can change BPM real-time and the audio adapts to it.

That's why it uses CPU, just playing files from a cache wouldn't use CPU.
- record audio as 96k
- switch project to 44.1k to make Complex Pro adjustments
- switch back to 96k to render
With only those steps, without freezing/flatten or consolidating, the adjustments you made in step 2 are not printed to audio, so you only created a set on instructions (warp markers) that will be recalculated real-time when you switch back to 96k and press play.

If you don't like the CPU usage of Complex mode in 96k, then just freeze or consolidate the track, so it doesn't need to recalculate. No need to go to 44.1k.
♥♥♥

cinningbao

Post by cinningbao » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:11 pm

pottering wrote:Warping is recalculated real-time every-time you press play, it is not rendered to a cache file.
I don't consider that to be a true real-time operation, but I suppose we'll just have to disagree on that.

But you have clarified the fact for me; I can be happy that the higher sample rate Complex Pro operation will be applied.

cheers :)