Grand staff

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Yangyang99

Grand staff

Post by Yangyang99 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 am

Hello everyone, I am a new user of Ableton Live 10.

I have two questions :

1 - How to remove the accent on the first time of the metronome ?

2 - Is it possible to display a grand staff to record Midi, from my piano or write note with the pen of the software. The system of grid is very nice but difficult to read quickly for a classic pianist.

Before write here, I searched in the forum and in the manual but I did not find any answer.

Thank you for your help.

jestermgee

Re: Grand staff

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:11 am

1. Can't (without changing some sound files that someone can advise, i'm lazy)

2. Nope (piano roll is all you have to work with).

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:31 am

jestermgee wrote:1.[...]changing some sound files that someone can advise, i'm lazy)
I'm just as lazy, let the knowledge base do the talking: Customizing the Metronome sound – Ableton

Yangyang99

Post by Yangyang99 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:48 am

Thank you for your answers. Ableton Live is nice because we have 30 days to test it freely.

Is Ableton Live a software for compose music or a mixer for disk jockey ?

I think if they use the piano roll system of notation, there are advantages. Where I could find information to read quickly piano roll ? For me it is really not easy to see a melodic line or chords and the inversions for example.

I also did not find how to use basic functions of music as Staccato, Portamento, Fermato, Slurs for example. I downloaded the Ableton piano as a pack.

For the metronome, it seems not to difficult.

I tried the Ritardo and some variations of tempo during a piece with the grid, that works very fine and it is very easy to do.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 am

Live was originally designed as a live performance tool (hence the name) for playing loops and samples but has evolved over the decades to pretty much become a full DAW.

However, each DAW on the market has its own strengths and weaknesses. I am far from a professional songwriter and am more akin to writing and reading compositions using trackers and piano rolls over the older more traditional methods of using a grand staff. Live fits the needs for someone like me possibly more than a traditional musician that wishes to see music as they would on paper.

Possibly for that more traditional approach, Logic or Pro Tools (cubase?) might be a better option to look at. All of these options don't suit me personally because they are all linear in how they work, not like Live which has the Session mode where I personally like to get started and noodle around until I have my parts "written".
I also did not find how to use basic functions of music as Staccato, Portamento, Fermato, Slurs for example. I downloaded the Ableton piano as a pack.
That will come down to the instrument you use and if it has these features available, typically by way of keyswitches.

diegux

Post by diegux » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 am

Yangyang99 wrote:
I also did not find how to use basic functions of music as Staccato, Portamento, Fermato, Slurs for example.
You are talking about the basic functions of a PARTICULAR style of music. Luckily, music is much wider than that.

For classical western music, maybe Ableton is not your best choice. You will need to do several workarounds in order to achieve what you are looking for. I recommend you Logic (if you are on a Mac), Digital Performer or Cubase.
Ableton is amazing, probably the most creative and musical DAW there is on the market. It just doesn't fit the style you are looking for even though it is possible to do it.