what Drumkit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Celtic46

what Drumkit

Post by Celtic46 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Are there any drumkits that can produce realistic
sounding rolls like Billy Cobham or Joe Morelli.

jestermgee

Re: what Drumkit

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Linked examples?

Celtic46

Post by Celtic46 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ijn1RLYEtE

I think the difference is, when striking a real drum the sound
of the previous stroke still sounds in a roll.
In ableton the sound of the previous stroke is terminated.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:51 am

...when you're after realistic sounding drums try playing with different velocity levels of the roll's single drum hits...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm

It depends on the kit and how it has been programmed to respond to input and if it can trigger multiple voices for a cell.

For real sounding drums I tend to go to Toontracks EZdrummer which I have a dozen really nice kits for and it's one of the best sounding drum plugins I have ever owned, compared to anything from Live or NI for that matter. It makes brilliant rolls because it has multiple pads for a snare (for left and right hands which sound slightly different), lots of velocity levels and round robin triggering so it constantly varies the sound as a drummer does with each hit.

But to get actual decent sounding patterns that are "human" sounding you need to have some background in drumming which I have only the basics.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:49 pm

jestermgee wrote:It depends on the kit and how it has been programmed to respond to input and if it can trigger multiple voices for a cell.

For real sounding drums I tend to go to Toontracks EZdrummer which I have a dozen really nice kits for and it's one of the best sounding drum plugins I have ever owned, compared to anything from Live or NI for that matter. It makes brilliant rolls because it has multiple pads for a snare (for left and right hands which sound slightly different), lots of velocity levels and round robin triggering so it constantly varies the sound as a drummer does with each hit.

But to get actual decent sounding patterns that are "human" sounding you need to have some background in drumming which I have only the basics.
A good buddy of mine is a drummer, and he swears by EZdrummer (he uses a midi kit to as a controller).

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:29 am

Celtic46 wrote:Are there any drumkits that can produce realistic
sounding rolls like Billy Cobham or Joe Morelli.

Probably better off using Sampler using a multi velocity kit.

That said it is probably doable with Drum Racks using multi velocity instrument racks.

A single velocity snare will tend to sound like a machine gun when played rapidly.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Just to update the OP...

I had a quick turn "rock" soundtrack project I had to put together for a client these last few days. I literally had 3 or 4 hours to put a track together.

I downloaded a demo of EZ Drummer. OMG. It's absolutely nuts. Sounds gorgeous and natural. Because of the time-frame, I kinda took the cheap option of trawling through EZ Drummer's groove files and building a drum track out of them (yes, I feel dirty) - but hell, in a pinch it's an absolute godsend.

It's hard to explain, but the level of expression you can get out of the kits is insane. The only downside is that all the kits are pre-mixed - you can adjust volumes of the various components, but you can't adjust the in-built effects, etc. That being said, they are mixed exceptionally well.

I was pretty much blown away - and I've now invested in Superior Drummer (EZ Drummer on steroids) which I'll use on another project I'm working on.

Anyway, just wanted to update this post with relevant info!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Shift Gorden wrote: Superior Drummer
just got this too... i figured it would be more useful than Live 10*
*currently using 9

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Yeah, the internal sequencing is flipping nuts. Just doing the 230gb (!!!!) download right now.

I'm certainly going to have fun using it inside of Ableton 10. I love how you can export all of the MIDI from Drummer directly into Ableton.

I can't wait to take this for a blast this weekend.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Yeah the kits are something else. Waiting for a sale on SD to update but I have been more than happy with EZD and the groove files help get you started or give you some ideas on fills etc, I just find they never fit anything i'm doing so will tend to program them myself. Some of the electronic kits are meh, but the acoustic kits are all very detailed and natural sounding

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:55 am

The one thing that [kinda] bums me out about it, since it's 250 GB, it's bigger than the drive on my Macbook. I was hoping to install it on the laptop so i could make drums on the go then transfer to my iMac when i get home. It felt like it took days to install it. But, other than that... I'm digging it so far.

I'll probably upgrade the Macbook to a 1TB SSD. it's a 2015 so that's doable.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:58 pm

jestermgee wrote:Yeah the kits are something else. Waiting for a sale on SD to update but I have been more than happy with EZD and the groove files help get you started or give you some ideas on fills etc, I just find they never fit anything i'm doing so will tend to program them myself. Some of the electronic kits are meh, but the acoustic kits are all very detailed and natural sounding
Yeah - those groove files really helped me out. I love the fills, too. For the price, I think EZ is huge value. I still can't believe the detail in those kits!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:04 pm

H20nly wrote:The one thing that [kinda] bums me out about it, since it's 250 GB, it's bigger than the drive on my Macbook. I was hoping to install it on the laptop so i could make drums on the go then transfer to my iMac when i get home. It felt like it took days to install it. But, other than that... I'm digging it so far.

I'll probably upgrade the Macbook to a 1TB SSD. it's a 2015 so that's doable.
Yeah, I had to install the library on an external hard drive (not SSD). It certainly is a little slow to load the kits, but right now that doesn't bother me.

I had a play around with SD last night. This thing is deep! It has some pretty nice effects baked in - I really dig the sound of a couple of the analog-style compressors.

I haven't done much apart from tinker around with the groove files and go through the assembled kits.

I'm with you, jester, the electronic kits are meh - but that's okay - I have more than enough electronic gadgetry to keep me happy there! Those acoustic kits, though!