Setup problems [no sound]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Starkater

Setup problems [no sound]

Post by Starkater » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Hello folks!
I'm trying to set up Ableton for bass recording. I just bought the Focusrite Solo and installed Ableton Live 9 Lite that came with it.
My first problem was that the default sound driver option MME/DirectX has horrible latency and the Focusrite USB ASIO only shows signal in but never out.
The same goes for ASIO4ALL, with all the hardware options turned on I only get signal in, never out. I have tried all these drivers with the sound card options in Windows 10 set to in/out Focusrite USB and Speakers. I don't know what to try next.

Anyone?

Da hand

Re: Setup problems [no sound]

Post by Da hand » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:21 pm

If you have an ASIO driver that comes with your card, there is no need to use Asio4All.

Before you open Live, make sure to close every program (other than Live) that can potentially use audio: music players, itunes, web browsers, skype, spotify.... or even better, just close everything on your computer. That way we know there are no audio conflicts over which program blocks others from using the driver.

Now open Live and just to recap:

When you choose the Focusrite ASIO driver in Live's Audio Preferences, you then activate the outputs in the "Output Config", right? Remember that you have to activate outputs for every driver separately, so if you haven't done this specifically for the Focusrite ASIO driver, then they won't be active.

After choosing the output you want (say 1/2 on the Focusrite Asio Driver), you then made sure that this same output is chosen on the Master channel output right? (like in the image above)

If there is still no sound, then what are you specifically trying to play out from Live? A recorded bass clip? Your bass directly through Live? What is your channel/monitor setup for that?

Starkater

Post by Starkater » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Yeah, I've managed to select in- and out channels for all drivers but I still get no sound out, only in. I don't know if the sound card settings on windows 10 play in that much when I also tried the ASIO4ALL without success. I've restarted my computer and Ableton between tries.
The best combination of selections that gets me signal out is:

Driver type: MME/DirectX
Input device: Focusrite USB Audio DX (There's also wave)
Output device: Speakers Realtek High Definition Wave (There's also DX)

But the latency is horrible. I'm monitoring through my computer using headphones at the moment.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 pm

When you are using the Focusrite ASIO driver, are you listening to your output on headphones only? If so, is your card's "Input Monitor" switch set to "Off" or "On"?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Driver type: MME/DirectX
You don't ever want to be using that driver option if latency is not something you want.

You should have native ASIO drivers for your interface. ASIO4ALL isn't required but if you do not have actual ASIO drivers installed then I would look for installation files for your interface as it seems it is just using the default windows sound drivers.

acarter316

Post by acarter316 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:01 am

I am having this issue still, did any of you find a solution? I am using asio4all for my blue snowball mic, but there is no output to even select. So the audio never actually gets sent out of the software is all i can figure. any ideas?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:25 am

acarter316 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:01 am
I am having this issue still, did any of you find a solution? I am using asio4all for my blue snowball mic, but there is no output to even select. So the audio never actually gets sent out of the software is all i can figure. any ideas?
That's because Live (in Windows) only supports a single audio device as both Input and Output so if you are using a USB attached Mic (not recommended for production work) then you do not have an audio output on it so there is nothing to select.

Asio4All may have some trickery in it to do what Mac users call "aggregate audio devices (or somesuch)" where you can chain multiple audio devices together to use inputs of one and outputs of another but not sure nor would I put any money on the stability of it either and that is not a possibility in Windows alone.

Only solution I have is to not use a USB attached Mic but get a proper audio interface and mic but that may not be an option for you so chances are you just cannot record and playback with the equipment you have.

erp

Post by erp » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:08 am

Same issue as the original poster, doesn't look like anyone's solved it.

Windows 10 PC
Ableton lite live 10
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Focusrite ASIO driver
outputs are selected/enabled
Focusrite solo shows in the OS's volume control
I can get sound through the headphones on the Focusrite when I have the guitar plugged into it, and 'direct monitoring' selected.
No output from Ableton unless I switch away from the ASIO drivers

sonofstag

Post by sonofstag » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:01 pm

Have you put your headphones directly into your audio interface?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:29 pm

erp wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:08 am
I can get sound through the headphones on the Focusrite when I have the guitar plugged into it, and 'direct monitoring' selected.
You need to have 'Direct Monitoring" set to OFF to hear Ableton Live. Also make sure the master channel Output in Live is set correctly.

stressless

Post by stressless » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 am

erp wrote:

Windows 10 PC
Ableton lite live 10
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Focusrite ASIO driver
same issue here

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:19 pm

stressless wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 am
erp wrote:

Windows 10 PC
Ableton lite live 10
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Focusrite ASIO driver
same issue here
There were already solutions given for this... have you tried them? What solutions have you already gone though that were suggested in this thread and they didn't work? How is your card and Ableton Live setup?

llebllib

Post by llebllib » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:33 pm

I had this problem too. Being a beginner one always wonders if it's something I have done that's messed things up but when I read this post I wondered. Anyway the problem seemed to occur when I added a remote monitor to my Windows 10 laptop. After a bit I got round it by checking all outputs, mono and stereo, in the output config box.

vick santoz

Post by vick santoz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm

Same here.

If I use MME/directX, I can choose input and output device. After I choose my speaker, the sound is there.

But if then I use ASIO driver for Rode, no sound comes out.
I can only select 1 audio device, which i believe is for input, but no option for output.

vick santoz

Post by vick santoz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:41 pm

if i click hardware setup, it shows
RODE AI-q ASIO Control Panel
which i can only set up the buffer size.