arpeggiator problems with synth plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kebabman

arpeggiator problems with synth plugins

Post by kebabman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi there

I am having problems with arpeggiators starting on the same initial note/ down beat each time. I use Massive and various synths from the Arturia V collection.

Quite often I will hold a note for 1 minute or so. The arp plays and sounds great. When I play back the midi clip, sometimes it doesn't seem to start on the correct note of the sequence. Why is this? do arps chug away in the background even when they're not playing?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...

Da hand

Re: arpeggiator problems with synth plugins

Post by Da hand » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 pm

kebabman wrote:do arps chug away in the background even when they're not playing?
Actually, it is the opposite - they stop in place. Then when they start playing again, they will either continue on from where they stopped in their sequence or they will reset to start playing from the beginning of their sequence. Most synth arps and sequencers will have some kind of "reset" option to choose between the two scenarios.

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:10 am

Many thanks for this.

Yes I would have assumed they would stop.

So it seems they may be picking up from where they left off. like you say I really need them to be resetting before they start a sequence.

this is all doable in arp settings on most synths I'm hoping?

Thanks

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:28 am

kebabman wrote:this is all doable in arp settings on most synths I'm hoping?
Most yes, but how it resets exactly and where the setting can be found will be different from synth to synth. If it's not obvious on the panel, then it means it is time to dig into the manual :wink:

Let me know which Arturia synth you are looking at this setting for and I may be able to help. As for Massive, I have never used it, so can't easily help you there.

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks for your help with this.

I'm going to have a look at my Arturia synths. Off the top of my head I think this happens a lot with the Arp 2600, CS-80 and the Oberheim.

Thanks