This note snapping behavior is stupid and should be fixed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jlgrimes

Re: This note snapping behavior is stupid and should be fixed

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Puddi wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I think there is only me and you who think that.

I think there should be an option to have "normal snap mode" in addition to the smart snap.

I made a suggestion on the L9 Centercode and the L10 Centercode, the suggestions did not get that much attention. I think, somehow, most people enjoy this weird aggravating snap system.

I am VERY glad that automation snapping has become optional in the betas, but not snapping remains this way with no options for snappy snap. And I dont think it will ever change.
Yeah, I don't understand how no one else seem to be bothered by this. It's like they haven't used a DAW where you don't constantly need to (consciously or subconsciously) compensate for weird snapping behavior, like Reaper for example:

It doesn't really seem to affect me as the magnetic snapping works pretty good but that said I would actually prefer a hard snap mode and a modifier to temporarily turn it off.

Coming from other DAWS I haven't been a huge fan of magnetic snapping as it is implemented worse in other DAWS and often can be confusing as hell.

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 pm

I didn't realise this feature worked like this - I'm sure it didn't used to, but it's been driving me bonkers, wondering why the wretched thing wasn't snapping.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm

timday wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I think there is only me and you who think that.

I think there should be an option to have "normal snap mode" in addition to the smart snap.
No, it annoys the hell out of me as well.
sign me up.

i've been annoyed by it a few times. it usually results in either a vocal track or a bass line starting right before when it should when this happens to me.

at normal zoom and from far off (my stool), i cannot see it on it the grid.

but, when the audio plays - Surprise! - as the bass line starts a quarter second too soon... and the vox are .73 bpm off