Send midi between Mac and PC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

Send midi between Mac and PC

Post by danny klim » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi, I have a midi foot pedal (kmi soft step) and want to make it trigger midi events on both a mac and a pc, could you please help? On the mac, I want it to control functions in the ableton looper and on the pc i want it to control basic scrolling up and down functions (triggered with midi via autohotkey). Currently, the foot pedal is connected to a usb 3 hub that connects to the mac.

I understand that this is possible with a hardware midi interface like the ones that iconnectivity make because they can connect to two computers simultaneously. But I can do this without a hardware midi interface, right? I figure that i must be able to, even if it just works in the way that the midi received by the mac also immediately triggers a new midi message that is sent to the pc. I just don’t know what software would be used for this.

So, how can i make the midi foot pedal device affect both computers at once without a hardware interface? What software/setup would be needed to make this happen? Also, would it work as reliably/consistently as a hardware interface?

Thanks!

slatepipe

Re: Send midi between Mac and PC

Post by slatepipe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 am

i use the softstep as well, the softstep 2. sorry but i'm not really sure about connecting it to 2 computers at the same time. i use it just with one computer to do the same stuff you mention and more, i just switch between softstep presets - one for movement and recording clips etc, and one for using the looper. (i use another preset for controlling sends as well.) i use a mfl device to receive all the data from the softstep and it all works pretty well. why are you wanting to use two computers? i'm just curious

fishmonkey

Re: Send midi between Mac and PC

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am

ipMIDI is one solution for sending MIDI data over an Ethernet connection between Macs and Windows machines:

https://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html