Record with backing track.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkBeauchene

Record with backing track.

Post by MarkBeauchene » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:31 am

I start with a new live set. I delete both midi tracks. I drag and drop a mp3 file into the first clip of the first audio track. I would like to then record audio into the second audio track. I can't hear the backing track and record the audio. I can easily do either, but not both at the same time. Probably a user error by me, but I haven't been able to figure this out.

justanametouse

Re: Record with backing track.

Post by justanametouse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:51 pm

Does the audio that you've imported play when not recording? Are you working in Session or Arrangement view?

MarkBeauchene

Post by MarkBeauchene » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes, I can hear the backing track when not recording. I have been using the arrangement view.

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:48 am

Odd. I've tried to recreate the issue, but can't seem to stumble upon it. If your playback/recording is occurring in arrangement view, the track monitors are set to Auto, and you have the track armed/set to the correct input, it should work.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:17 am

Hey! It will help to post a screenshot of your Live arrangement with view of the entire Live window, the two tracks in question, the i/o mixer section open, etc - so we can see what is going on and perhaps be able to see something out of place that way.

MarkBeauchene

Post by MarkBeauchene » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 pm

I was getting ready to make the screenshots, and tried to duplicate the problem. The monitor setting may have been wrong, because when both tracks were set to Auto everything worked fine. Thanks for the help!

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:58 pm

MarkBeauchene wrote:I was getting ready to make the screenshots, and tried to duplicate the problem. The monitor setting may have been wrong, because when both tracks were set to Auto everything worked fine. Thanks for the help!
Good stuff - have fun!