Recording Vinyl via USB: Clipping Issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Barstool the First

Recording Vinyl via USB: Clipping Issues

Post by Barstool the First » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:17 am

Hi everyone,

I've made the first steps towards digitising my vinyl collection. My setup is as follows: Macbook pro (Mojave), Steinberg UR22MKII soundcard and an Audio Technica ATLP120 record player, connected via USB cable. I would like to control the input level sent out by the record player, because as of now the signal is bordering on clipping in live 10 and I can't seem to bring the level down.

Is there anyone who is experiencing similar issues and knows how to fix this? I am aware of the preamp removing idea and while I don't disagree, I need this turntable to stay under warranty... any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

chrk

Re: Recording Vinyl via USB: Clipping Issues

Post by chrk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:10 am

Barstool the First wrote:Audio Technica ATLP120 record player, connected via USB cable.
Pity that the built in ADC is 16 bit only, 24 bit might save you some headache.
Barstool the First wrote:I am aware of the preamp removing idea
I am not aware of that, but I'm thinking a different route altogether.

Skip the USB and use the turntable's output into the soundcard, two options:

Get two RCA to TS adapters (i.e. female RCA, male TS), switch the turntable's output to LINE and go into the line ins of your Steinberg, so you can use its gain pots for input trim.

Or get a separate phono preamp, plug the turntable's RCAs right into that, set the turntable to PHONO, connect the preamp's output to the line ins of the Steinberg. Cable types depend on the preamp, either male RCA or male TS to male TS. Depending, again, on the preamp, this may give you an output pot for gain staging betwen the two.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 am

you are using a digital input so there is no way the signal is going to clip unless there is something wrong with the turntable. since the USB audio connection is only 16-bit, it is actually preferable to record with a good healthy signal level to maintain the signal-to-noise ratio.

your other option would be to record the analog line outs of the turntable using your Steinberg audio interface. that would make it possible to record at 24-bit.

i would try recording both ways and comparing the results.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Another thing.

Live autowarps clips recorded from an external input no matter whether you've turned it off in the preferences.

Depending on the standard warp mode you've chosen in the prefrences, playback may really produce overs, though the actually recorded audiofile is NOT clipping. You need to turn warp of in the individual sample frames.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:47 pm

The preamps and USB interfaces found in modern turntables are for the most part not very good. I have yet to see one with any kind of level control, either.

Get a phono preamp and route that into your audio interface if you;re looking for better quality.

Artcutech

Post by Artcutech » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:02 pm

There was a thread on Gearslutz about a guy going directly from his turntable phono into a interface that had rca and had clipping issues, and in the end was his cartridges/needles which no one thought would be the case or even should be a problem but he was able to lower the gain with 3.5 carts instead of the 5 on his m447

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip ... ofuse.html

Barstool the First

Post by Barstool the First » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:41 am

A big thank you to all you guys! I've gained a lot of useful knowledge. Indeed, turntables with built in preamps produce lower quality sound. I've taken to making a separate template in live for recording, turning off autowarp and adjust a couple of other settings in the preferences to make life easier. Thanks again and all the best to you!