Noobie question from a wandering 19 year old

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Karanaway

Noobie question from a wandering 19 year old

Post by Karanaway » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:51 am

Hey all.

I recently installed the ableton trial and am following ill factors beginner tutorial.

But I'm having trouble with recording drums on a MIDI track.

Arm session recording is on, MIDI is from all ins to all channels

I'm trigerring the 808 drum pack by manually clicking on the devices.

And when I stop recording, nothing shows up on the track.

P.S. I don't have a midi controller or keyboard. Maybe this is the problem?

Thanks all

yur2die4

Re: Noobie question from a wandering 19 year old

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:33 am

Those play buttons are ‘preview’ buttons. They will not record as notes.

I would suggest using the keyboard you Type with. Turn on the keyboard icon on the top and see if you can hit any notes using the ASDFGHJKL row.

If nothing triggers, z and x are octave up and down. The least you should see when the channel is armed is the micro view of the pads in the drum rack decide blinking.

There are more details in the manual. This is probably your best option given your circumstances and should work really well.. as long as you don’t have high latency.

Karanaway

Re: Noobie question from a wandering 19 year old

Post by Karanaway » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:26 am

yur2die4 wrote:Those play buttons are ‘preview’ buttons. They will not record as notes.

I would suggest using the keyboard you Type with. Turn on the keyboard icon on the top and see if you can hit any notes using the ASDFGHJKL row.

If nothing triggers, z and x are octave up and down. The least you should see when the channel is armed is the micro view of the pads in the drum rack decide blinking.

There are more details in the manual. This is probably your best option given your circumstances and should work really well.. as long as you don’t have high latency.
This worked. Thanks a bunch compadre!