Can I use a midi channel as a midi controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buklen

Can I use a midi channel as a midi controller?

Post by Buklen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 am

I'm trying to us a midi channel as a midi controller as i'm using Ableton link and the my other software keeps changing the bpm on my track.

I thought the simplest solution would be to create a midi track that periodically plays a note then link that midi trigger to the "re-enable automation" button in Ableton to keep the track playing at the right tempo, but I cannot figure out how to set a midi track as a midi controller.

Please help,

Cheers.

oratowsky

Re: Can I use a midi channel as a midi controller?

Post by oratowsky » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:12 pm

hey Buklen, this seems like a complex workaround for an issue that could be solved at the source -- what is the other software that keeps changing the tempo of your project?

Buklen

Post by Buklen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:31 pm

The software is Resolume and I have it linked with Ableton link. it randomly throws the Ableton project out of automation mode even when I don't touch the tempo inResolume, I feel it's just sending a ping every now and then which is enough for Ableton to disable automation mode. I wish there was a way to have one way communication with ableton link, but there doesn't appear to be an option.

At the moment I use a step sequencer in lemur to re-enable automation as a hack till I can find a solution to the problem, but would rather do it all within Ableton, I have loopb virtual midi, So I assume there is a way I can rout it back through to itself. but not sure how to do it.

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 am

ever find a fix for this?

so yer saying resolume keeps changing the tempo of ableton while the two applications are linked ? like randomly?

when you say disabling automation .. you mean it's disabling the tempo automation on your ableton project?

i don't believe there is a way for a midi clip to trigger something in ableton that's program specific the way you can map them to buttons on a controller. the clip can contain midi CC messages that control paramaters in a VST for example but i don't believe what you describe is possible if I understand well...

I would maybe try to see what's going on in Resolume but if you have to do a workaround maybe there's a way to do this with max for live?