Timestamp on Audio Consolidation Question?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
birdhouse19

Timestamp on Audio Consolidation Question?

Post by birdhouse19 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm finally using Ableton 10. I noticed after every time I consolidate audio samples it puts a date/timestamp on each block. Is there anyway to turn that off? I find that highly annoying to the way I organize my projects. I like just seeing clean labeled audio blocks. Love how it doesn't do it on midi blocks when you consolidate them.. Like Ableton did half the work trying to make this improvement. I see a older post talking about this but I'm just curious maybe someone knows how to turn off this annoying feature or has there been an update to give the user an option to not see this data? Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Timestamp on Audio Consolidation Question?

Post by [jur] » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:44 pm

You can't turn it off.
Sorry that you're finding this annoying... but I'm sure you'll be happy to stop running into the "missing audio file named Audio 001-01" where you have thousands of "Audio 001-01" on your HD.
Ableton Forum Moderator

birdhouse19

Post by birdhouse19 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:53 pm

[jur] wrote:You can't turn it off.
Sorry that you're finding this annoying... but I'm sure you'll be happy to stop running into the "missing audio file named Audio 001-01" where you have thousands of "Audio 001-01" on your HD.
Negative ghost rider. The way my OCD works and the way I organize all my samples to the 'T' and backup everything correctly I never misplace things within or outside a project. Now looking at my Ableton 10 projects with those timestamps looks like a bunch of clutter and smashed ass. Every time I consolidate I have to rename the block, its driving me mad but I guess I gotta pay to play.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Glad that you're an organised person!
Anyway, you'll have to keep on renaming your clips, sorry.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Luisterwaar

Post by Luisterwaar » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:35 pm

Hello,

I'm glad this conversation has started already so I can weigh in my voice, wanted to say something about since day one because it just keeps annoying me. I love everything Ableton but this feature is just rude to organised sound designers. I can remember when it took literally zero time to get files named properly as you just did that during your process (hopefully).

The time and date is the least informative detail I want to remember, and deserves a spot as metadata instead of in an extended disorganised title which i have to fix myself every time. I've gotten in the good practice to rename all my channels, instruments and all that but now the program itself clutters it for me by default :? ... Another good use was to bang out folders with hundreds of cool small oneshot-samples using the "crop sample" and just drag it out the recording directory to the desktop (done, tadaa!), but now the timestamp changes my title every second. :roll:

It's an inconvenience for organising your own files, so it at least should be a toggle function in Preferences.
Keep this convo going plezz

cuttuc

Post by cuttuc » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:53 am

This dampens my workflow as well. More options around auto-naming clips (and chains where a clip has been dropped) would be very welcome.