Launching clips while mantaining position in song

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
bb477

Launching clips while mantaining position in song

Post by bb477 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am

Hi, this is probably a noob question, I am just starting to use Ableton. Or rather, I haven't managed to understand it yet, it's been a while. I've watched a few tutorials and nobody addresses this concretely, so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction?

I use Logic to produce and I want to use Ableton to do a live set, where I launch clips in and out of my arrangement. For instance, I want vocals to come in and out, some looping percussion to come in and out, as I trigger it...but everything needs to remain in sync within the song. The song needs to keep playing. What's the simplest way to do this? Every time I launch a new clip, that clip starts from the beginning so it is not in sync with the rest.

I am using session view. I have tried placing it all in arrangement view too like I have it in Logic, but it doesn't correct the problem so it seems pointless.

Thank you!

S4racen

Re: Launching clips while mantaining position in song

Post by S4racen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi, sounds like you may want to swicth on legato mode on your clips so that they play from the point of the song rather than the start...

Cheers
D

bb477

Post by bb477 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Ah thank you I heard that word before and didn’t know what it meant. I’m going to try this

bb477

Post by bb477 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks, I've been trying the Legato and it works great for keeping time, but it messes up with my Follow Actions and scenes don't play, I have no idea why. I'm watching tutorials on Launch modes

Ast3rix

Post by Ast3rix » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm

I’m having issues with this as well. It’s like if I try to launch a clip after I have moved it to song mode it just does work. I ended up copying the clip and placing it in the arrange view, however this defeats the purpose of the live aspect.
Ast3rix
————————
Ast3rix Music
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIW7PU ... 6qwiiX5n2A

Goldfalcon

Post by Goldfalcon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Im trying to find a solution to this as well.

Goldfalcon

Post by Goldfalcon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:08 am

Is there really no way to scrub the playhead and have all tracks start from the playhead position? This seems an obvious sort of function. I find it hard to believe it isnt possible. Im having to listen to the entire track every time i make a midi edit in the piano roll. Thats ridiculously time consuming and silly.