Downloading individual Pack clips / sounds individually

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Simon Gray

Downloading individual Pack clips / sounds individually

Post by Simon Gray » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi all,

This question feels like it's probably one which has been asked before because I'm surely not the first person in this boat, but I couldn't think of any sensible things to type into Google beyond the obvious, which didn't answer the specific question.

So here's my setup - my main production computer is quite an old (late 2011 i7) Macbook Pro, which despite it being quite old it's still quite nippy because it was probably the most expensive one in the range that year for the first person who bought it first. And it's partly quite nippy because I swapped the HD for a SSD - and at 512GB the SSD is big enough for me to have easily downloaded complete a whole bunch of packs to it.

I also have a slightly less old Macbook Air, which because it's an Air, it's what I carry around in my handbag so that if I get chance at lunchtime at work I can go off to a quiet corner and get on with making a bit of music.

I keep my projects synced together on both computers using iCloud and saving to an iCloud drive, and i've (more or less) duplicated the plugin installations on both. What I can't do though is sync my packs on both computers - I tried moving the Packs library into iCloud to do that, but it's so big it basically filled the Air's drive. So my problem is if I'm working on a project which has Pack sounds or clips, they're absent, because I can't download the whole pack because that'd fill the Air's drive.

So what I want to be able to do is for the project i'm working on download just the individual Pack files necessary for that project; idealy automatically but I'm a reasonable man, if that's a big ask I'm content to do a bit of manual input.

pottering

Re: Downloading individual Pack clips / sounds individually

Post by pottering » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 pm

An option is using "Collect All and Save" to save all the used files to the project folder.

Creates dupes of course, but in your case it may be better than trying to sync your whole collection of Packs and samples.
♥♥♥

Simon Gray

Re: Downloading individual Pack clips / sounds individually

Post by Simon Gray » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:37 am

Sorry for the delayed response - that worked just fine for my needs, ta.