launching a clip in the middle? session view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
justkid700

launching a clip in the middle? session view

Post by justkid700 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:54 am

hi

in session view, say I have a one clip that is 4 bars and another clip (on a separate track) that is 8 bars

if I start the first clip (4 bar one) in the middle, I should expect the 8 bar clip to start at the 2nd bar so that it matches in time with the first clip

however it just starts at the beginning of the 8 bar clip making everything go out of time..

how to solve this??

thanks

j

justanametouse

Re: launching a clip in the middle? session view

Post by justanametouse » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:25 am

So you want an 8 bar loop to start on the 2nd bar of a 4 bar loop and stay locked like that? If so, just create a bar of of empty space at the beginning of the 8 bar loop and move the the loop start indicator to the actual beginning of the clip (top triangle on the upper left of the clip view piano roll). Would look something like this:

https://imgur.com/a/KW1yC1I

justkid700

Post by justkid700 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:02 am

hey thanks for the reply!

well that's just an example I'm saying that I want all the clips to be locked within the scene, so different clips will be different lengths right? which means if I start one clip in the middle or more towards the end, the other clips should follow suit, instead of just starting at the beginning...

I know its kinda hard to explain

justanametouse

Post by justanametouse » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:27 am

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you're expecting the scene launcher to do something it's not meant to do. The point of it is to launch all of the clips from their respective start points at once. Seems like you should either be creating the space I suggested, launching the clips you need when you need them, or by creating a new scene altogether. Sorry if I'm not quite getting what you'd like to accomplish.

justkid700

Post by justkid700 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:50 am

so if I have a clip that is 25 bars long, and say that (for example) on the 23 bar I make a small edit like I add an extra midi note, that means I have to play the clip starting from the 1st bar to hear that edit that I made?

I can't play the clip from the 23 bar and have all the clips be in sync? (and keep in mind other tracks are usually different lengths/bars which is why the problem is occurring)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:52 am

In the clips launch options (bottom left hand side, in the detail clip view panel), turn on the legato mode...
Ableton Forum Moderator