How did the producer make this synth rhythm? thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
justkid700

How did the producer make this synth rhythm? thoughts?

Post by justkid700 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:09 am

Hi

Can anyone tell me what they think the producer did here (click Soundcloud link) to create this type of rhythm with the synth? Is it something that can be done with stock Ableton plug ins? or u think its some special plug in?

https://soundcloud.com/musicsnobster/synths

thank you!

scheffkoch

Re: How did the producer make this synth rhythm? thoughts?

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:37 am

...sounds like extreme ducking via side chain...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

justkid700

Post by justkid700 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:29 pm

thank you but how would u make the side chain do that specific rhythm? is there an easy plug in that could do syncopated rhythms like that?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Sounds like some kind of gate. Look at the Live Gate plugin

justkid700

Post by justkid700 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 pm

how would u make a gate or side chain create that rhythm? Im trying to recreate it but seems very complex and complicated process, is there an easy solution to this somewhere?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:12 pm

I doubt you will find a tutorial on how to create that exact sound. The tools are there but takes some playing and experimenting. Off the top of my head I don't know but other things that may work would be to create the beat using a kick (where you want it to duck), set the kick to be muted but sidechain it to a compressor so it will behave as a rhythmic gate and trigger your ducking. Then just play with the order of the notes until it fits.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Seems like a gate first. And then compressed super hard.

So, the gate would just had on/off side chain based off a synth tone (not a bass drum), and the synth tone would be varying lengths. There would have to be an attack envelope that raises for held notes. Not sure if standard gate can do it for as long of a duration as in the audio clip (maybe m4l envelope?). But yeah, as long as you have that syncopated rhythm and are using a synth tone instead of just a drum. Actually... the synth tone itself could also have a decent amount of attack and be attenuating the gate. Either way, it’s more having something control when the audio should be active, how a gate functions, than something controlling when it should be inactive.

To get a harsh click at the start of each part, a heavy compressor. The compressor will be relaxed during the silent bits but react abruptly when even a hint of sound comes on. So the threshold should be way way down (enough to react at the slightest sound), Ratio somewhat high, and attack extremely short maybe with a decent length release, and pretty decent gain to ensure the clicks part really comes through along with everything else.

I’m not positive that this is how it’d be made, I’m not going to sit and try to emulate it, but based off a listen it sounds similar to a process along those lines.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:53 pm

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 pm

haha, this is from the stems to Into You by Ariana Grande. prod by ilya and max martin.

to my ear,

there are 2 main layers to the sound.

the pad playing the chords, and the drone higher octave lead sound.

The pad has an attack, and the lead does not.

Both these are compressed super hard together, so when the pad swells, it makes the compressor duck.

Most of the rhythm is just coming from the pattern the synths are playing. The ducking and swelling I believe is just from a compressor on both these elements.

edit-- PS these stems were insane to study. So crazy to hear max martin singing super quiet in the vocal mix and also some other vocalist ?? Also the mic'ed unplugged electric guitar layer?! Such a layered and detailed production.

justkid700

Post by justkid700 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:35 pm

thank you guys! Do you guys think 'gross beat' would be an easier solution for this? and does gross beat work for Ableton Mac? thinking about getting it maybe, I tried the whole gate/sidechain compression thing but it is very hard to get it vibing as well as the reference track :cry: