Recording audio of midi CC - tweaked midi tracks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jseales

Recording audio of midi CC - tweaked midi tracks

Post by jseales » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm working on an orchestral score, using VSL Special Edition plugin hosted by Ableton 9.7. I've got a hardware controller (midi fighter twister) connected to my system.

What I'd like to do is use the hardware controller to tweak aspects of the performance using midi CC messages (e.g. expression via CC 11.) Then I'd like to get it to the audio domain for mixing.

As far as I can tell, I can't record the knob tweaked CC messages onto the midi track because they are in clip automation, not arrangement automation. I could draw in break points in the clip envelope for CC 11, but I'd rather record from moving the knob.

I can play the midi track with the midi record arm on, and them my knob twiddles are read by VSL and I can hear my tweaks. However, if I want to record the output I'm in a Catch-22. If I'm recording audio onto another track, I'd also be recording over my midi notes.

Somehow I need to be able to play VSL, reading a particular CC message but not recording Note on / off, or other CC messages, while recording the audio to an audio track.

Or maybe there's a different work around I haven't thought of. Anybody?

timday

Re: Recording audio of midi CC - tweaked midi tracks

Post by timday » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Overdub button - the little + button next to automation arm - should enable you to play and/or record tweaks without erasing MIDI notes. Or have I misunderstood what you are trying to do?

Also, clip automation still works in the arrange page. It's a bit clumsy IMO and I guess if you wanted to edit the automation over a whole track you would need to consolidate to one clip for ease of editing. Alternatively if you use MIDI mapping in Live rather than assigning CCs in the controller to mathc the VST's parameters (which is what it sounds like you are doing) the automation will appear in the arrange page in a normal automation lane and you can edit it in the normal way, because you are then recording the VST automation rather than cc position.