MIDI effect to add bass note to chord, is it possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Schmidt

MIDI effect to add bass note to chord, is it possible?

Post by Schmidt » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Hey guys

I'm looking for a way to add a note -12 semitones from the LOWEST note in a progression.

So if i play C Major, i want it to add a C -12 down (fx C2, C3, E3, G3)

I've tried with the chord MIDI effect, but that adds notes to all the notes played, and i'm only looking to add the bottom note.

Maybe there is a way? Max 4 live would be fine, or maybe some sort of rack? I need to be able to play it live.

Hope it's possible, would make life on a small keyboard a lot more fun.

Cheers! :)

pottering

Re: MIDI effect to add bass note to chord, is it possible?

Post by pottering » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Technically, it is possible.

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/26 ... idi-filter

You can use those in a MIDI Rack with 2 Chains, one Chain with the device above and a Pitch device set to -12 (to add the -12 note), the other Chain empty (just to pass the original notes).

But, in practice it won't work well, because you have to nail the chord timing BOTH when you press the keys and when you let go of the keys.

Because when you play the middle key of a triad before the lowest key, then at that moment that key is the lowest, and the computer can't predict the future and know you will add another lower key soon after.
♥♥♥

Unfazed

Post by Unfazed » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:51 am

There might be a way using Chuck. There's a MOOC course on it at Kadenze.com . If you join, you could then ask on the course forum. (They also have a course on sound design with Ableton - maybe they could help also.)

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Unfazed wrote:There might be a way using Chuck. There's a MOOC course on it at Kadenze.com . If you join, you could then ask on the course forum. (They also have a course on sound design with Ableton - maybe they could help also.)

what do you mean with MOOC?
(if i search for that word on kadenze nothing comes up)

Schmidt

Post by Schmidt » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:02 pm

pottering wrote:Technically, it is possible.

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/26 ... idi-filter

You can use those in a MIDI Rack with 2 Chains, one Chain with the device above and a Pitch device set to -12 (to add the -12 note), the other Chain empty (just to pass the original notes).

But, in practice it won't work well, because you have to nail the chord timing BOTH when you press the keys and when you let go of the keys.

Because when you play the middle key of a triad before the lowest key, then at that moment that key is the lowest, and the computer can't predict the future and know you will add another lower key soon after.
I'm a bit late, but thank you very much!

This does what i wanted. Of course it won't be perfect, but it's something :)