"universal" mapping?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
romanw2702

"universal" mapping?

Post by romanw2702 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi!

I just bought a Alesis VI49 controller keyboard and I want to use the control knobs for various surface controls, track arming, instrument controls, slot recording in the session view etc.
I am familiar with the mapping function. However, mapping is not "universal", meaning that if I delete a track, I delete the corresponding MIDI-mapping. When I create a new track, it will not be mapped, and so on.
The same goes for instruments: of course I can map functions of, say, the analog synthesizer to certain knobs, but that will of course be only for THIS instance of the synthesizer on THIS track in THIS project.
Isn't there some way to create some kind of "universal" mapping, where the knobs of my keyboard ALWAYS control a selected instrument and other knobs ALWAYS control for example Solo, Arm etc on ANY track created?

Edit: the keyboard does not appear in the "control surface" dropdown menu of the settings, only on "MIDI ports"
Edit2: making a mapped "standart" set and saving it is also no option because I might need different instruments, more tracks, maybe audio tracks and so on, and I would have to map everything again...

fishmonkey

Re: "universal" mapping?

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:19 am

what version of Live are you using?

i'm on the current version of Live 10 and the Alesis VI does have an official control surface script available in the Live MIDI prefs...

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... l-Surfaces

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 am

There is also the official guide on their website on setting it all up too:

https://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2046

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:25 am

ClyphX Pro Bindings allows you to set up Universal Mapping for a MIDI Controller without a Control surface Script.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/cly ... -bindings/

Needs ClyphX Pro V1.1.4 to start....

Cheers
D

romanw2702

Post by romanw2702 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:58 am

fishmonkey wrote:what version of Live are you using?

i'm on the current version of Live 10 and the Alesis VI does have an official control surface script available in the Live MIDI prefs...

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... l-Surfaces
jestermgee wrote:There is also the official guide on their website on setting it all up too:

yeah, I also found that. it doesn't help, however, since it's just about the preferences in ableton
S4racen wrote:ClyphX Pro Bindings allows you to set up Universal Mapping for a MIDI Controller without a Control surface Script.

Cheers
D
that's great, but is there any free alternative?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am

That actually explains how to setup the keyboard as a control surface which then allows the controls to auto-map to Lives parameters as you change from track to track.

That is what you are after no?

romanw2702

Post by romanw2702 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:06 am

jestermgee wrote:https://www.alesis.com/kb/article/2046

That actually explains how to setup the keyboard as a control surface which then allows the controls to auto-map to Lives parameters as you change from track to track.

That is what you are after no?
hmm... no, it's just about setting up the keyboard for midi in-and output. as i said, it doesn't appear in the list of "control surface". i have everything set up as described there, but that doesn't solve the problem, that mapping will always be just for the specific project. or what do you mean with "auto-map"?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 am

There are 2 different MIDI sections for Live. The MIDI in and out settings for general midi and the control surface section.

It may pay to do some reading up on what control surfaces are but in short, setting a controller as a control surface (that has a supported script which your device appears to have built-in to Live) will activate "auto mapping" in Live. This differs from controller to controller as to what is mapped to what but generally speaking, faders will control the track volume and encoder knobs will auto-map to the first 8 parameters of a track or device in Live. You can make this more convenient by creating "macro" controls for the most important things.

As you select a track or click on an effect/instrument the keyboards controls will automatically map to that device without any effort on your part. The catch is that you must select the track or device to control it and you will see a "blue hand" that indicates your controller is controlling that device.

Have a closer look at the info on the products site and for "control surfaces" and get a better picture of what is possible. Makes things much easier.

romanw2702

Post by romanw2702 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am

jestermgee wrote:Image

There are 2 different MIDI sections for Live. The MIDI in and out settings for general midi and the control surface section.

It may pay to do some reading up on what control surfaces are but in short, setting a controller as a control surface (that has a supported script which your device appears to have built-in to Live) will activate "auto mapping" in Live. This differs from controller to controller as to what is mapped to what but generally speaking, faders will control the track volume and encoder knobs will auto-map to the first 8 parameters of a track or device in Live. You can make this more convenient by creating "macro" controls for the most important things.

As you select a track or click on an effect/instrument the keyboards controls will automatically map to that device without any effort on your part. The catch is that you must select the track or device to control it and you will see a "blue hand" that indicates your controller is controlling that device.

Have a closer look at the info on the products site and for "control surfaces" and get a better picture of what is possible. Makes things much easier.
I know about that, but like I said, the Alesis VI49 doesn't appear in the list of control surfaces. And the Alesis website doesn't help any further.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

Any reason you are still on v9.2 and not 9.7 at least? That could be your issue as to why you cannot see anything.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:29 am

romanw2702 wrote:
jestermgee wrote:Image

I know about that, but like I said, the Alesis VI49 doesn't appear in the list of control surfaces. And the Alesis website doesn't help any further.
Live has supported the Alesis VI49 as a control surface since Live 9.2

there is no "Alesis VI49" in the Control Surface list, the one you want is simply called "Alesis VI". that same control surface script supports the VI25, VI49, and VI61.

just follow the guide that Jestermgee linked to above...

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:51 pm

romanw2702 wrote:
S4racen wrote:ClyphX Pro Bindings allows you to set up Universal Mapping for a MIDI Controller without a Control surface Script.

Cheers
D
that's great, but is there any free alternative?

$0.02 - ClyphX is worth many, many times the price they charge for it. The single best Live related purchase I've ever made.

It sounds like DDC may be good for your purposes:

https://www.nativekontrol.com/DDC.html

DDC (short for Dedicated Device Control) provides a new means of controlling devices in Live from your MIDI controller(s). It allows you to dedicate a MIDI controller (or multiple controllers if you like) to controlling a device or group of devices in Live.

For example, you could set up all of the controls on a nanoKONTROL2 for controlling Operator parameters. That sounds kind of like MIDI mapping, right? The major difference though is that MIDI mapping in that way would only allow you to control a single instance of Operator and only in sets that contained the associated MIDI mapping. With DDC, you could control the first instance of Operator on any track in any Live set!

And that’s just the beginning. You can also control multiple devices if you like. So you could have some of the controls on a controller controlling Auto Filter, while others control EQ Eight and others control Beat Repeat. You can also/alternatively control devices with specific names. For example, instead of controlling any Audio Effect Rack, you could strictly control an Audio Effect Rack named “My Perfect Rack”.

And you can have multiple pages of assignments if you like. You could use each page to control a different aspect of an instrument like Analog. Or each page could control a different device. Whatever suits your workflow. And, yes, all of this is fully compatible with Live’s Takeover functionality, so you’ll get no jumps in value when moving between tracks/devices/pages.

And, finally, all of this is set up via an easy to use editor that edits MIDI Remote Scripts that you’ll use in Live. Once you’re done editing, you’re good to go…no running external applications or M4L devices!
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.