working with locators and sections?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
justkid700

working with locators and sections?

Post by justkid700 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:22 pm

hi

in logic I can easily select sections BETWEEN locators and hide them or rearrange them.. I work only in arrangement view

is there anything like this in Ableton? Like where I can select the "Chorus section" in arrangement view and hide it or select everything within an entire section between locators, without having to drag my mouse over all the clips

(Im also aware of things like Cmd-I to insert time, and Ctrl-Shift-x to cut sections, but I want to be able to select entire selections more easily)

thanks!

pottering

Re: working with locators and sections?

Post by pottering » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:47 pm

You should learn to use Session View and its Scenes, because it is made for that, making constantly changing experimental arrangements.
♥♥♥

justkid700

Post by justkid700 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:09 am

so there is no "select all regions/midi clips" between 2 locators hot key?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:55 am

You cannot hide sections. But you can use the locators to:

- launch playback from a locator (double click a locator)
- skip between sections by clicking a locator while arrangement is playing. This becomes the same thing as launching Scenes in Session View
- simply place the playhead / insert marker at the start of a section marked by a locator

You can Key or MIDI map them if you don't want to use your mouse.

-------------

You can select sections between locators, however you cannot do everything with shortcuts (as far as I know).

If you right click on a locator you can choose to (no shortcut):
- select to next locator
- loop to next locator

-------------

I see that you are aware of time commands, but maybe you are not aware that they can also work with the arrangement loop brace - to select the region you want to edit more easily.

To make a selection of the entire loop region (across all tracks), you can:
- click (left click) on the loop brace
- or Ctrl-Shift-L to Select Loop

Then you can execute the time commands by either right clicking on the loop brace and choose from the menu options (they will also show you the shortcuts available) - or use the time command shortcuts you have been using already.