Presonus ATOM Ableton Control Surface Script possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
benr

Presonus ATOM Ableton Control Surface Script possible?

Post by benr » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:16 am

Anyone have the necessary skills to rustle up a Control Surface Script for the new Presonus ATOM controller? Or at least understand enough to explain why it can't be done? :?

So far I'm stumped at the comment "# The transport buttons are also expected not to be toggles." in the UserConfiguration.txt file, since the ATOM's transport buttons DO seem to be toggles. I can get basic play and stop working, but it takes two presses to start or stop (because on the hardware, they're toggles!).

The manual available here https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downl ... 092018.pdf has a comprehensive listing of the MIDI Mapping, and also the (currently limited) configuration possibilities on the hardware itself.

Any thoughts appreciated.

doghouse

Re: Presonus ATOM Ableton Control Surface Script possible?

Post by doghouse » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:13 am

"# The transport buttons are also expected not to be toggles." means that is how Live interprets the signals and there is nothing you can do about that.

Have you connected a MIDI monitor to see what msgs are sent when you press the buttons?

A momentary switch should send a msg of 127 when pressed and 0 when released. A toggle switch would send 127 when first pressed, then 0 when pressed again, then 127 when pressed again, etc. but there is no msg sent on the release. That's why you have to press twice.

I have to ask: why are you trying to use an Atom? I'll assume you use Studio One as well as Live.

benr

Post by benr » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:23 pm

I did and yes, the "Stop" button is momentary (127 on down, 0 on up), but the "Click", Record", and "Play" buttons are all toggles: 127 on first press, 0 on second press. I did understand the script comment, I was hoping there might be a way to override that behavior. I guess it would need to be in the Presonus hardware (if they offered a non-toggle mode of MIDI operation, perhaps?).

To answer your second question, I'm taking a look at the bundled Studio One, but I'm not especially interested. I just liked the design and size of the ATOM as a possible travel controller, and thought it was worth seeing if it would integrate with Live easily. Perhaps the answer is simply, "not really".

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:56 pm

if the hardware doesn't support message tweaking, then one way to make it work would be to filter and remap the MIDI messages using a MIDI utility, e.g. Bomes MIDI Translator...

yrDoctor

Post by yrDoctor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 am

It is probably a bit too late but maybe it will help other people. After a bit of reverse engineering I discovered that in midi mode inputs are disabled and lots of buttons are toggles, moreover you can not control pad light. In order to use the controller you have to force the native mode sending the note C-2 note off velocity 127 to the channel 16 [self._send_midi((143, 0, 127))]. In native mode all buttons are momentary and you can control the rgb pad lights (channel 1 light on/off, channel 2 red intensity value, channel 3 green intensity value, channel 4 blue intensity value).

Carbon Kinetic

Post by Carbon Kinetic » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:58 am

yrDoctor wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 am
It is probably a bit too late but maybe it will help other people. After a bit of reverse engineering I discovered that in midi mode inputs are disabled and lots of buttons are toggles, moreover you can not control pad light. In order to use the controller you have to force the native mode sending the note C-2 note off velocity 127 to the channel 16 [self._send_midi((143, 0, 127))]. In native mode all buttons are momentary and you can control the rgb pad lights (channel 1 light on/off, channel 2 red intensity value, channel 3 green intensity value, channel 4 blue intensity value).

--->Dude! How do you do this? I would love the Play button not to be a toggle and be able to control the lights ---
I may implement this into Cubase using Generic Remote, but I also have Ableton, so please go into more detail about how I can get the Atom hardware to be changed or modified to send momentary transports etc!?
Thanks

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Maybe this is of some importance:

Live in the moment.
While compatible with most third-party software, ATOM offers deeper integration with Ableton Live (version 10.1.5 and later). Launch clips and scenes, change track volume and panning, and switch between Session and Arranger views all while playing virtual instruments and Live’s Drum Rack device from ATOM’s 16 velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads. Add another ATOM to your setup and use one ATOM to perform and the second to launch and record clips. Two or more ATOM MIDI pad controllers can also be used to extend the performance range for your instruments and Drum Rack. Even better: any ATOM purchased after October 20, 2019 gets a free copy of Ableton Live Lite dropped in your My.PreSonus account.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Didn't Ableton just add a script to one of the latest betas? Check the notes.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Don't know, just found this on the website of Presonus......... 8O
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:54 pm

"gets a free copy of Ableton Live Lite dropped in your My.PreSonus account."

Thats basically the entry price for getting a script into the main program....

Cheers
D

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:04 pm

Thats basically the entry price for getting a script into the main program....
What do you mean by that? All versions 10.1.5 contain the script, if I'm correct........ or are we talking another script?
Greetings from Miyaru.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:11 am

When a manufacturer pays to have a copy of Live Lite included with the purchase of a controller there will be a script written for it in Live....

Cheers
D

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:02 am

OK, now I do understand what you mean........ :oops:
Greetings from Miyaru.