Beginner: Is session view the same as arrangament view?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Matje

Beginner: Is session view the same as arrangament view?

Post by Matje » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi,

I think I'm still not really get some things.

After drag&drop a audio file in session view in an audio track, the waveform is not visible is arrangement view. Also when drag&drop an audio file in arrangement view in an audio track, in session view is no clip visible in the audio track. Where is the miss thinking?

Maybe is best to explain how I would like to use Ableton.I want to use Ableton live on stage for backing tracks and click tracks. For me the power of Ableton are the scenes. A scene on stage is a song. My band plays the songs directly after each other. So I have to start fast the next song. By starting a scene I can fast start backing tracks.

Now I am creating my first backing sample of the song "I got a feeling" from the Black Eyed Peas. The intro of the song is an audio file of 8 measures. Those 8 measures have to be played again after 80 measures. So I wanted to create this easily in the arrangement view and use the session view on stage. But it seems it does not work how I thought it would be,

yur2die4

Re: Beginner: Is session view the same as arrangament view?

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:29 pm

They are different. If you were to place a clip into one, and expect it to appear in the other, there is no way for the computer to know where you would want your clip that you dragged in to appear in Arrangement view for instance, if you had dragged it into Session.

As for the purpose and behavior,

Arrangement view is more of a ‘linear arrangement’ section. You’d use it to create a music piece that is clearly defined and starts at one point, ends at another, and you’ve decided all the things that happen in between. It is also pretty clear how your automations appear over time and you can do meticulous arranging of things in fine detail, like maybe having three of one snippet of audio and two of another, at specific spots in time.

Session View is a way to ‘launch’ clips. That’s pretty much the basic concept of it. Launched clips can be looped or you can launch one and then the other, or launch an entire row at once. You have to Trigger a launch though. Live won’t launch the clips automatically. The nice thing about this is for live use or jamming, or if you need to hear ideas while you ‘jam’ and try to make new ideas without interrupting your Arrangement that is in the other view.

Recording in each area is kind of unique also. In Arrangement view you’d record either yourself playing audio or midi, or record what clips you are launching from Session View into your arrangement. But your result is basically determining a beginning-to-end structure for your piece. And adding or removing to your song.

In Session View you can record new looping clips and record them with the intention of being in time with the other clips. You can easily have one set of ‘background music’ looping but record more than one loop or idea on one channel by recording into multiple clip slots on that channel. Then you can just kind of ‘choose your own adventure’ when you play it back and trigger the clips. Once you’ve got a good idea of song structure that you really like in Session View, you can hit Record in Arrangement View and record yourself launching those clips.

More info on the differences is in the manual. It is worth getting familiar with the concepts and the terminology. Good luck!

Matje

Post by Matje » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Is the thing I want even possible with Ableton?

I would like to use the scenes as songs. Each scene is a song with his backing tracks and click track. In the scene which I'm creating now, I use two audio clips. First clip has to start at measure 1 and the other clip at measure 80.

Last week I asked this question also on the forum and the answer was to make more clips vertical. But I want to use 1 scene which I start at the beginning of the song. During the song I don't have time to do something in Ableton because then I play the keyboard.

In arrangement view this is easy to make. But there I miss the possibility to see all the scenes (songs). So after each song I have to open a saved live set.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Matje, the answer I gave you for this in the other thread covers this. Not sure why you started a second tread on the same topic, but please read what I propose again. And of course, if you have questions or reasons why you think this will not work, then let us know.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232685
Last week I asked this question also on the forum and the answer was to make more clips vertical. But I want to use 1 scene which I start at the beginning of the song. During the song I don't have time to do something in Ableton because then I play the keyboard.
The solution I gave in the other thread (link), does exactly what you want - as far as I understand. You don't have to do anything once you play the first scene of the song - the whole point of Follow Actions is that they are an automation - so the other "vertical clips" are launched automatically one after the other ;)

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:34 am

da hand’s method will work.

Another way of doing what you want is to lay your song out in arrangement view. You then do a “select all” on the song’s track and use the “consolidate time to new scene” function to turn the entire song into a single session view clip. Paste it into a session view slot, then make sure the clip isn’t set to loop (unless you want to play that one song over and over again...).

Do that with the rest of the songs in turn and you end up with a number of session view clips each containing one song. Which can be loaded into a session view track as a series of clips.

Another way of doing it if your song is already a single stereo track is to arrange it in arrangement view so each section comes in and out at the right time then select the song, copy it and paste it into an empty session view slot.

If you put each song in its own session view track at a layer below the one that you want it to follow you can then trigger each song in turn as you need it. You can put your click track, if you need one, into another session view clip - maybe just one bar that keeps repeating - and load it into another session view track which you route to another Live output that you configure to go only to your monitor system.

I hope that makes sense! Live repays experimenting and is very powerful, but you do need to learn the basics, including how session and arrangement views work and interact. I suggest starting small - just throw some loops into arrangement view tracks and experiment with converting them to session view clips, arranging the clips and getting them running properly.

Years ago, when Live was first launched, the developers thought of it as a tool for DJs which they could use session view to lay out their entire night’s set and control the changes from song to song, so it can certainly handle playing songs one after another. Since then it’s grown a lot!
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:20 am

I would suggest using Arrangement View for your needs. You can put all of your songs into Arrangment View and create markers in Arrangement View at the start of each song. You can also automate the tempo etc.

Trying to make this work in Session View will take far more effort and still not be all that satisfying.

Matje

Post by Matje » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:27 am

Thank you for all your answers.

The method of TLW helps me best. I can arrange everything in arrangement view and when it is done, make clips of it. All tracks are shown vertical in session view and can use a scene for a song. Perfect!

Thanks again.