starting external video-files from session-view

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
stefan.geissler@klingt.org

starting external video-files from session-view

Post by stefan.geissler@klingt.org » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 pm

hi,

I am probably not the first on who asked for that one ...

ok, the subject says it all: is there a / what is the easiest way to start playing an external videofile (mov or mp4) by triggering a scene in session-view. it's for a live-setup, the video(s) should just play, nothing else. and for keeping things simple and stable a second laptop which plays the videofile might be included.

thx
stefan geissler

oratowsky

Re: starting external video-files from session-view

Post by oratowsky » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 am

hey, I haven't explored these kind of setups in a long time but a lot of my video and VJ friends use a program called Resolume.

I imagine you could set up what you describe using only MIDI pretty easily.

Post by stefan.geissler@klingt.org » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:22 am

hi,

thanks for your hint to "resolume". have not heard of that yet. but that one seems to be a huge program for live-visuals, but I just want to trigger simple movs/mp4s, one after the other. something which works with ableton's "link" would be perfect. it should be a simple lightweight videoplayer (playable from my tiny tablet-pc). any more suggestions !?

best
stefan geissler

Post by stefan.geissler@klingt.org » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:05 am

btw, would it be possible to have a second ableton on a second computer, place the videos there in the arrangement-view and start them via "link" !?

oratowsky

Post by oratowsky » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 am

i think resolume is pretty scalable and kind of runs plugins as needed so can serve as a simple playback device and be as light as you need it, but i'm not so familiar.

if you don't need to trigger the videos on the fly with session clips on the first computer then using Link to play back videos on Arrange view of the second computer seems fine as far as I can tell ? You can select the Link'ed computer to sync with Play/Pause.