Midi Mapping Question

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
DrChaosMD

Midi Mapping Question

Post by DrChaosMD » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:26 am

Hi.

2 questions about midi mapping in Live 10:

1. Is there a way to map the combination of a (1) midi control pad and (2) rotary knob together such that whilst pressing of the control pad, it would act as a kind of "shift" key for the rotary knob, allowing me to change different things depending on if I press the midi control pad or not?

2. Is there a way to control the sensitivity of a rotary knob from within Live?

Thank you!

NOfMe

Re: Midi Mapping Question

Post by NOfMe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:47 pm

DrChaosMD wrote:Hi.

2 questions about midi mapping in Live 10:

1. Is there a way to map the combination of a (1) midi control pad and (2) rotary knob together such that whilst pressing of the control pad, it would act as a kind of "shift" key for the rotary knob, allowing me to change different things depending on if I press the midi control pad or not?

2. Is there a way to control the sensitivity of a rotary knob from within Live?

Thank you!
Experiment with Max 4 Live. Look for stuff in your Live Browser in "Max for Live > Max MIDI Effect". If you don't see much, check if there's a pack you need to download from the Ableton site.
You can definitely do what you're talking about. The exact solution depends on what you wanted to change based on the input / what effect you wanted the pad to have. (Just remap the knob to a different CC when the pad is selected? Or..?)

There's probably already M4L devices you can use for whatever you're trying to do, but if you want to do something really wacky, you can make one yourself.

It'll take some experimentation and learning, but Max 4 Live is a very powerful thing, which will open the doors to a lot more than what you're trying to do at the moment, so this is a good opportunity to jump in.

Here's a bunch of Max 4 Live devices that might even have what you need already:

https://github.com/stretta/Stretta-Inspiration-Tools

Would probably take a day if you have never used it before.

You could also write a MIDI Remote Script for Ableton, but this would be extremely difficult if you don't know Python.

Go check out the Max 4 Live website and examples and you'll be able to do whatever you want. It's very powerful.

dynamiiic

Post by dynamiiic » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Hey
DrChaosMD wrote: 1. Is there a way to map the combination of a (1) midi control pad and (2) rotary knob together such that whilst pressing of the control pad, it would act as a kind of "shift" key for the rotary knob, allowing me to change different things depending on if I press the midi control pad or not?
- Yes you can but with a midi remote script.
DrChaosMD wrote: 2. Is there a way to control the sensitivity of a rotary knob from within Live?
Sensitivity of a rotary knob? You mean the resolution of an endless encoder? - Yes you can with a Midi remote script.

Probably M4L is also able to do it.

If you trying to use the generic "Ctrl-M", select control and twisting the physical knob to map then you can't do any of these functions.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:02 pm

If you do not have M4L already, you can use Rack Macros to give you 8 controls and each one allows setting min/max resolution. It won't do the "shift" thing you are after, however.