Follow action , more precise control?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brian sansone

Follow action , more precise control?

Post by brian sansone » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Is there a way to set up a follow action that plays the last clip that was playing. Not one just above or below, or the first/last of a group, but the one that was just playing back. Im trying to figure out how to play a scene thats a drum fill, and then jump immediately back to the what was playing before the drum fill scene. I also tried using a gate, but I cant get it fast and clean enough. -Brian

chapelier fou

Re: Follow action , more precise control?

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Maybe I misunderstood, but here are my thoughts, if you don't mind me suggesting something else.

I would consider :

1. Legato mode
2. having your drumfills always playing in another track "in the background" and use something like the crossfader to make it audible. Or just mute/unmute the two tracks with the same MIDI control.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

brian sansone

Post by brian sansone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 am

chapelier fou wrote:Maybe I misunderstood, but here are my thoughts, if you don't mind me suggesting something else.

I would consider :

1. Legato mode
2. having your drumfills always playing in another track "in the background" and use something like the crossfader to make it audible. Or just mute/unmute the two tracks with the same MIDI control.
Legato fails me when a track doesnt have a clip playing to line up the next clip on the track. I know I can use dummy clips to keep everything in sync, but Im really hoping for a simple solution . The cross fader idea works pretty well, and is what im doing right now. The gate was promising too, but I just cant get it to react clean enough. Great Ideas Thanks very much. I'm hoping there is a max device that expands follow actions

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:25 am

Happy to help. Check out Isotonik « follow » device, maybe it does what you want ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1