Recording CC automation in MIDI clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nz

Recording CC automation in MIDI clips

Post by nz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:40 am

Hello,

Sorry for the newbie question in advance, but I have not been able to figure this out and I am sure that I am missing something simple.

I need to record on/off CC automation in MIDI clips in my session. I know for certain that I am sending the correct CC information from my controller. Live sees the MIDI input, but I am not able to actually get the CC input to the actual clip to record the CC automation.

I have tried various MIDI controllers where I can assign the CC number output as well as translator apps (Bome)sending the correct CC number to Live.

Help! What is the best way to accomplish what I am sure is an easy task?

Thanks so much!
MacBook Pro/Mac Mini
Ableton Live 10

doghouse

Re: Recording CC automation in MIDI clips

Post by doghouse » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Read 19.2 Recording Automation in Session View in the Live manual.
1. Enable the Automation Arm button to prepare for automation recording.
2. Activate the Arm button for the tracks onto which you want to record. Clip Record buttons will appear in the empty slots of the armed tracks.
3. Click the Session Record button to begin recording automation.

bikerguy

Re: Recording CC automation in MIDI clips

Post by bikerguy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:18 am

nz wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:40 am
Hello,

Sorry for the newbie question in advance, but I have not been able to figure this out and I am sure that I am missing something simple.

I need to record on/off CC automation in MIDI clips in my session. I know for certain that I am sending the correct CC information from my controller. Live sees the MIDI input, but I am not able to actually get the CC input to the actual clip to record the CC automation.

I have tried various MIDI controllers where I can assign the CC number output as well as translator apps (Bome)sending the correct CC number to Live.

Help! What is the best way to accomplish what I am sure is an easy task?

Thanks so much!
In case you would prefer to stay in the arrangement and do this via automation, there is also this Max for Live that allows you to send CC from the arrangement view:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... -cc-sender