External instrument and Kronos help, last step help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Artcutech

External instrument and Kronos help, last step help

Post by Artcutech » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:00 pm

I’m setting up a Kronos with Ableton for somebody, downloaded midi driver, have Kronos as input sound card, Kronos is showing up in midi preferences, I turn local off in global settings, load an external instrument set midi to Kronos, ch 1, and audio from 1/2, great everything seems on point, the problem is when loading another external instrument, I go to midi track 2 on the Kronos, then set up the external instrument for Kronos ch 2, audio from 1/2, and monitor in great success! Not really because I can’t stop audio from being fed to the first external instrument, so after recording the midi, and playback the audio, audio from both tracks is playing on each track, but if I go and freeze and flatten one of the tracks audio from that track only is rendered so that’s good, I’ve got everything on the track itself (not the external instrument cell) set to all ins but have changed it to Kronos and ch 1 and so on but it doesn’t help or change that audio from each track external instrument track plays in each external instrument track instead of individually, so basically if I have a piano and bass on separate external instrument tracks with separate midi notes, If I solo one lets say the piano I’ll still hear the bass coming in, and if I unsolo both will be playing on each, but if I freeze and flatten one only the bass or piano will be rendered depending on which track is flattened, I need for the audio from each of the external instruments not to be fed on playback to all other external instruments but each individually, it seems like a monitor setting somewhere, Any ideas?

doghouse

Re: External instrument and Kronos help, last step help

Post by doghouse » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:09 pm

The Kronos has a USB audio interface bug/"feature" that is probably the cause.

Any audio sent from Live to the Kronos is looped back and mixed in with the audio sent from Kronos to Live.

Example:

Record Kronos playing a piano sound to track 1.
Record Kronos playing a bass sound to track 2.
Record Kronos playing drums to track 3.

Solo and play track 1 and hear only the piano.
Solo and play track 2 and hear both piano and bass.
Solo and play track 3 and hear drums, piano and bass.

Always muting all other tracks when recording the Kronos to a new track gets rid of the loopback but what good is being unable to hear the already recorded tracks? A second audio interface is required to be able to monitor the output of Live while recording.

Yes, that sounds stupid but that's how Korg designed it for some reason.

Artcutech

Re: External instrument and Kronos help, last step help

Post by Artcutech » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 pm

doghouse wrote:The Kronos has a USB audio interface bug/"feature" that is probably the cause.

Any audio sent from Live to the Kronos is looped back and mixed in with the audio sent from Kronos to Live.

Example:

Record Kronos playing a piano sound to track 1.
Record Kronos playing a bass sound to track 2.
Record Kronos playing drums to track 3.

Solo and play track 1 and hear only the piano.
Solo and play track 2 and hear both piano and bass.
Solo and play track 3 and hear drums, piano and bass.

Always muting all other tracks when recording the Kronos to a new track gets rid of the loopback but what good is being unable to hear the already recorded tracks? A second audio interface is required to be able to monitor the output of Live while recording.

Yes, that sounds stupid but that's how Korg designed it for some reason.
Thanks for the quick response, but if I solo the piano on track one both piano and bass are playing, and if solo the bass on track 2, both are also playing, yes I know that sounds almost exactly to what you said just the difference is that track one has both playing as well, I contacted Ableton support and Korg support, I’m gonna copy your reply and send it to Korg right now because this is a deal breaker. I was thinking that if Abletons tracks all ins and all channels might be set accordingly it might catch that audio only but I tried messing with it and still happens.

So even if the output sound card is not set to Kronos this double up occurs? As I only have the Kronos set to input? And audio interface as output

Either way thanks doghouse you’ve always been a lot of help on here regarding this issue

Btw Ableton support was really cool and like send us a video of the problem and status report and we’ll trouble shoot, super cool