A question for the veteran beta testers - the nasty ear

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

A question for the veteran beta testers - the nasty ear

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:12 pm

Ok I've lost track of exactly how many times I have clicked on the wave with the intention of zooming and found that I have summoned the Ear Of Doom.

So, Beta Veterans, will I eventually get used to The Ear Of Doom making these unwelcome visits ,or is ther some way of placating it in the preferences . Like 'turn off weird preview thing'

I'm interested if anyone has got to the point where thay have found it useful .. and how.

Also - I may have missed this but: why are the mute buttons so big now? they are mapped to the Function keys so I never really use the icons myself - even when I'm just on a laptop. So, how come? :?

mosca

Post by mosca » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:15 pm

i havn't found it usefull but i'm back up to speed with my zooming now (after the feature in beta?? when there was no 'room to zoom'

judging by some idiots posting on the beta forum they've made the buttons bigger so people can actually work out what track they are on :D

dom

Post by dom » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:26 pm

regarding the mute buttons: they're are not only bigger (for the same price!), they also show the number of the track now. usefull in "on stage with vodka and smoke machines" situations while using a midi controller for the tracks and such stuff. you can visually associate a track in live with a channel of your controller better now.

regarding the zoom: it took minimum 1-2 evenings to get used to it for me and it's always a hard step to change such behaviour stuff, but my personal opinion is, that i don't want to go back to the old behaviour now as i'm now able to navigate faster through the material.

cheers,
dom

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:58 am

i experienced the same ... very annoying..... a zoom connected to mouse scrollwheel would be amazing and solve this problem though..... together with the already available control-mouse scroll for panning

Olaf

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:08 am

One more question:

Why is the mute button of audiotrack 2 orange, it´s the only one.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

telekom

Post by telekom » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am

Cos you have the Monitor status button set to "In" rather than "Auto". Click Auto and it'll go yeller again...

8)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am

It can be quite a creative thing, It was catching me out quite a bit at first until I midied up the revert button and nudges. It means that you can quickly jump to a part of the clip thats playing using the mouse, then hit revert with a key. useful or dropping bits of fills and stuff on the fly.

I wasn't sure about it at first, but I'm liking it better the more i use it.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:19 am

Hello Angstrom
What you mean is the srub function in the lower half, am I right?

Well I´m used to it now, but the scrubbing on the top of the clip view is a bit to much, I never used it there and it´s not really needed.

What I´m missing is that the scrub tool in the lower half becomes a startmarker too when holding down a modifier key, there is more room as on top of the wave view.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:21 am

telekom wrote:Cos you have the Monitor status button set to "In" rather than "Auto". Click Auto and it'll go yeller again...

8)
Aha, bedankt!

Greetings

astar

Post by astar » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:08 pm

Martyn wrote:It can be quite a creative thing, It was catching me out quite a bit at first until I midied up the revert button and nudges. It means that you can quickly jump to a part of the clip thats playing using the mouse, then hit revert with a key. useful or dropping bits of fills and stuff on the fly.

The Revert button is awesome. A new trick I've been using is to start triggering sections of a clip with no quantization at all for a human feel when doing fills and then if you get really sloppy just hit revert and you're back in time with the rest of the track again... beautiful.
Asus A8JS, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 667Mhz, 100GB 5400RPM SATA, Echo Indigo IOX, Windows XP SP3, Live 8.0.5

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:49 pm

astar wrote:
Martyn wrote:It can be quite a creative thing, It was catching me out quite a bit at first until I midied up the revert button and nudges. It means that you can quickly jump to a part of the clip thats playing using the mouse, then hit revert with a key. useful or dropping bits of fills and stuff on the fly.

The Revert button is awesome. A new trick I've been using is to start triggering sections of a clip with no quantization at all for a human feel when doing fills and then if you get really sloppy just hit revert and you're back in time with the rest of the track again... beautiful.
agreed, revert is very usefull

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:01 pm

I'm Still hating the EAR OF DOOM

specifically - there is no logic to the way it is employed, I hate it.

The amount of times I have laboured to get something in time ... and then gone to zoom in and fine tune the loop .... F**K EAR OF DOOM !!

So I haven't even had a chance to hit 'keep' - so there's nothing to revert to.

EG : in the main 'Sample' window the wave display is vertically divided into Adjust loop , 'ear of DOOM' , zoom and then 'ear of DOOM' again. Even the 'Adjust loop' has an Ear of DOOM region surrounding it.

why why why

Did someone in Ableton think " I know what they want - a really easy to access 'send it badly out of sync' function, lets put it nearly everywhere "

So I know to avoid 2.5 out of 4 areas in the main sample window under perfect studio conditions. I am never touching that window during a gig thats for sure.

Nice Live function!

:roll: